Nikon N80 eats batteries !!

rajesh_kovvuri

Help,

I recently brought a nikon N80.

I put 2 new duracell DL123A batteries into it.

I just fired 4 shots in a film.

the only custom setting i used was continuous on-demand grid.

after clicking my shots, i kept the camera back in my bag, but i

forgot to turn the camera off !!

i checked the next day and my camera does not turn on !!

i removed the batteries, put them back. still the camera would not

turn on.

I then checked the batteries with a multimeter, and they showed 1.9v

instead of 3v.

My nikon N80 ate up the batteries in less than 24 hrs !!! even when i

did not use it.

can anyone shed some light as to what might be wrong ?

I am thinking that this might be a problem. the camera usually turns

off if inactive. I dont know if it is normal !!

great punishment just because i forgot to turn off the camera !!

thank you,

-rajesh kovvuri

I have left mine on for several weeks, and it has not reduced the battery life that I could tell. I don't think the on/off switch actually does anything other than lock the controls. You must have had something touching the button and keeping the meter and autofocus going, or a defective camera.

Buy the optional battery pack that allows you to use AA batteries...they last much longer (in my experience), are much cheaper to replace and easier to replace esp. when traveling. You have the option of rechargable batteries. Also, the added extension makes holding the camera much more comfortable. You save enough to justify the cost in just a couple months of shooting.

--evan

I placed the camera my lowepro bag. i really doubt if anything was touching the shutter release.

I am planning leave the camera 'on' for an hour and test the battery voltage to see if it dropped. i really hate to test with CR123A batteries as they cost $15 for a pair !

i called up service at B&H and told them my problem. they say it is normal as every function in the camera will be active except the LCD. i dont think that's the case.

as for seeing if it is a pattern, this is my second set of batteries. the first pair that came with the camera suffered the same fate !

i guess my final alternative is to purchase the mb-16 grip.

-rajesh kovvuri

I've left my N80 "on" for days--both as a result of forgetting to turn it off and as a result of squeezing it into an overstuffed pack (!) and have never had any problems with battery life. It is true that the ON/OFF switch simply shuts of part of the LCD and shutter release--remember the frame counter is always active. How long has my battery be "abused"?--try being left on for a month--and I got several months worth of shooting (~30 rolls of 36, some with flash) after that. I'm now using e2 Titanium/Lithiums from Everready.

About half the time I draw my N80 from the bag I find I've left it on and I rarely need to buy batteries. It's the same with my SB-50; I love CR-123s! Like an earlier post pointed out, it's whether or not the meter is on that makes the difference. At $15 a pair, I'm guessing you'll develop good power management habits pretty soon.

Was custom function 17 (LCD illumination at the touch of any function button) set to 1 by any chance? This and function 15 (time for meter auto shutoff) set to the maximum are likely to drain the batteries if something in the bag was pressing against any button on the camera.

either your batteries are faulty, something rubbing against the N80 in the bag is turning it on, or its faulty. I use an MB16 battery pack - if you buy a couple of sets of AA rechargeables you'll never look back, plus the extra bulk makes the camera feel very professional and secure. If its under warranty, get the camera checked anyway (free service), then get yourself the MB16! Neil

I did two things in the last 3 days.

1: I first shelled out $75 to get an MB-16 pack, so that i could experiment with the more affordable AA cells than the CR123A's.

As many pointed out, i guess the AA's will payoff over time. thank goodness i could also use the lower voltage(1.2v) ni-mh batteries in the MB-16!!

2: I then loaded up the mb-16, kept the camera 'on' and left it on a tripod. I started taking battery voltage readings every 2 hrs or so. The best part was:

batteries were stable. no drain even after leaving camera 'on' for 24 hrs.

A peculiar thing i noticed during this experiment was that 'DL-123A voltage dropped faster than AA cells !!, when i thought lithiums were supposed to be more stable !

I am assuming that this is because the MB-16 pack carries more current capacity than the DL-123A.

I then concluded, as many pointed out is "something was touching the shutter release button" when i kept my camera in the bag.

But after reading Niel's message, i checked and finally found the culprit...It was the DOF preview button !!!

my camera bag is just right for the camera, not spacious. so when i closed the bag, the DOF preview button got depressed by the bag separators. That is how my batteries got drained in a rush !

I am now looking for a more spacious bag...

I am hoping the DOF preview button operation will be modified in future revisions of the N80 to overcome this anamoly.

when the camera is kept 'on' for sometime, the camera shuts-off (not completely). BUT, in this state, when the DOF preview button is still active. I think it would be better if the DOF button was also disabled when the camera shuts-off, so the only way to activate the entire camera again will be to slightly depress the shutter release button.

I might be wrong also.

thank you all for your suggestions !!

• 3 weeks later...