Some folks say that the Nikon meter is calibrated to 12% grey not 18%. Some

folks say that's rubbish. I discovered at the weekend that using internal spot

meters, my Nikon consistently exposes 1 stop over what my Contax 645 does. The

Nikon is giving the correct exposure (correct for my workflow that is, which is

all designed around Nikon-produced negs). So we can conclude that there IS a

one-stop difference between the Nikon meter and some others, but whether the

Contax is actually calibrated to 36% grey I couldn't say. Would be surprised if

it was tho'.

All meters are calibrated to 12.5% grey except for the Zone VI-modified Pentax Spotmeters. There actuaally is an international standard (the designation escape me at the moment)

Kodak Grey cards are 18% grey, because that's what Ansel chose and he chose it because it was a good match for Zone V. So grey cards are Zone V, but not a standard midtone.

Meter tuning varies by design and by simple variation in manufacturing. This is why you'll rarely find two meters which agree. A half stop variation is pretty common between meters on a given model of camera, which is why finding a good EI for your film is important. Meters are often tuned for certain things, like how high-end Nikon DSLR's underexpose a bit to preserve highlights while the consumer models have hotter metering to nail the midtones.

Nikon uses 12.5% as neutral grey because that is what the film manufacturers use to be in line with the old A.N.S.I. standards.

Grey cards are 18% reflectance for historic reasons. That is why I

shoot Kodachrome 64 at A.S.A. 80 (now I.S.O.).

/Clay

My only question with Nikon's metering is how the heck am I supposed to use a 'color

meter'? All I know about and want from an exposure meter is to point it at something and

have it tell me what exposure to use to make that thing 18% grey.

People rant and rave about a color meter but I have never been able to get a straight answer

from a person regarding what it DOES that makes it so special compared to a normal meter.

The theory is that if the colour meter sees a lot of yellow, it figures you're shooting on a beach and ups the exposure by a stop. If it sees white it figures you're on snow, and so on. It is pretty good... but for a crucial shot, I switch back to the spot meter!

I find thge F5's "color meter" no more accurate than that of any other modern AF Nikkor I have owned, and I do lots of shooting in mixed light. You can trick it's metering sytstem just as easily as the next one's. That being said, is it adequate for what I need? Yes.

"The theory is that if the colour meter sees a lot of yellow, it figures you're shooting on a

beach and ups the exposure by a stop. If it sees white it figures you're on snow, and so on."

So, basically exactly the same as everybody else's evaluative meters, except it can tell sand

from snow?

I still do not fully understand. But that's OK. Thanks for trying!