with us during archery season. It will be split 50/50 on indoor and

outdoor shots. I own a Nikon FG-20 but have not had opportunity to get

any experience with it. Does anyone have any input about this model of

camera (good or bad). Also any suggestions on what cameras and

lighting packages that can be purchased in a moderate price range

would be helpful. The only camera experience I have is with the kodak

digitals you can get at Wal-Mart, but I am really looking forward to

learning this new art.

Your FG-20 probably has a nice 50mm 1.8 lens attached to it. It will actually take better pictures than a brand new modern camera with a variable zoom lens such as a Nikon N75 with a 28-100 G lens. The real difference is in the lens. Back when the FG-20 was made, the camera companies gave you good manual focus optics that were good in low light and no zoom. Today you get good zoom range, but lesser optics and less low-light ability.

The FG20 will be harder for you to learn how to use, though. Right out of the box with no reading up or experience, a low end Nikon SLR (or Canon for that matter) will get you better pictures. Once you learn the FG-20 (presuming it works properly) the pictures should be as good or likely better and it would have cost you nothing.

Regarding flash. No flash is usually best. Try to shoot as much as you can outodoors. In doors, use a "fast" lens like the 50mm 1.8, set at 1.8, and a higher speed film like 400 or 800. Don't think that the on-camera flash on new low end cameras will be adequate. They mostly produce poorly lit pictures. Most folsk who use flash will use an add-on "cobra" type flash. Youc an get a used on for your FG-20 pretty cheap on Ebay or perahps at KEH.com. Most new ones will work with your Fg-20, though.

Hi Richelle,

This is the camera my sister owns. She has taken with her across the US to Europe and even on the wildlife parks in South Africa. She has I think three lenses, a 50mm f1.8 Nikon, a 28mm Nikon and a Tamron 28-200mm f3.?-5.6 zoom. I can tell you that the camera has never failed her, the images from the primes have been fantastic and the zoom good enough for her travel memories.

• 2 years later...

That John Irving guy is right; the 50mm lens is wonderful. F1.8 for crying out loud! It's good to learn photography by manually handling focus and lighting. Simply put, pay attention to how light moves and directs itself. Portraits... think about composition and how light can manipulate with shadows and glow to add certain moods.

Um, I have this camera too. It rocks.