Nikon F2SB meter working only intermittently

rajmohan.

<p>Hi folks<br /> I have a lovely Nikon F2SB that has a little issue. When I turn the meter on, the meter doesn't always activate. I take the batteries out and pop them back in, and presto, the meter works. A couple of weeks later, I take it out, and the same problem occurs. Generally, while I'm shooting, the meter continues to work fine (except on one occasion when it stopped, at which point, I performed the battery removal/reinsertion process, and it started to work again).<br /> <br />Have any of you experienced such an issue? The batteries are new, and the contacts/battery chamber are clean and free of corrosion.<br /> I'm hoping that it is not an indicator of a major problem. I'd be grateful for any advice. <br /> Thanks,<br />Raj</p>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=8521336">rajmohan</a>--the very first thing I'd suspect is contacts. Both in the battery compartment itself and around the meter head itself. I've had good luck in using some sort of mild abrasive--like a pencil eraser--on the battery box contacts--and gently-- VERRRRRY gently--bending the spring contact in the bottom upward. Very gently! It WILL break! Second, remove the meter head itself and clean the contacts where it fits onto the body. Lastly, put new batteries in and leave the meter on for a while--several hours--that recharges the capacitor that lights up the meter. Good luck!</p>

Be very careful with the bottom contact in the

battry box. The box is held in place with a

plastictag and single screw. I had the misfortune to

break the anchoring tag off the battery box in an

F2A, and repair was a total pain. At the time I was

able to buy a new part from Nikon, but replacing the

battery box required a substantial dismantling of

the camera.

<p>Rajmohan,<br>

The F2 prism contacts on the body should be cleaned and the prism contacts also. A pencil eraser works well. As noted the battery box can be a weak point, use caution messing with the tab. You can remove the bottom plate to see if the battery wires are corroded but I would clean the body/prism contacts first.<br>

On a side note ... I have a F2AS, same prism just AI, I had intermittent power issues also. I had to press the contact pins for the DS-EE unit on the front of the prism to get it to work, those wires were corroded and meter needed an overhaul. The DP-3/DP-12 is a superb low light prism.<br>

Chris</p>

<p><strong>Paul</strong>, <strong>Joe</strong> and <strong>Chris</strong>,<br>

Just some quick follow-up. I cleaned the contacts gently with a tiny bit of alcohol, and when dry, with a pencil eraser. Popped new batteries in, and the meter seems to be working nicely. I've left it on to charge the capacitor, per Paul's recommendation. Thankfully I didn't need to try any more involved manoeuvres.<br>

Thank you for your help! :)</p>