Nikon F2AS and/or F2SB

Do I service the F2SB, buy the F2AS, or do both?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do I service the F2SB, buy the F2AS, or do both?

• Service the F2SB and let the F2AS go
    • Buy the F2AS and let the F2SB go
    • Buy the F2AS and service the F2SB (and damn the money!)

I have a Nikon F2SB in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition, but the meter tends to turn off at random moments (and then functions again); nevertheless, I have been able to make pleasing (to me) images with it. I was told that to check out this flaw would likely require a full service ($200+ dollars), but then I came across a F2AS, reportedly in full working condition, that I could buy for half the service cost of the F2SB.

The dilemma, of course, is: should I buy the F2AS or should I refrain and instead have the F2SB overhauled? This may be a silly question to ask of the members here, given that many of you are not only fine photographers, but also camera collectors (and the expected answer would therefore be, 'you can never have too many F2s').

As for quality film camera service? Get it while you can.Somewhat unnerving that the old pros for major make camera service are retiring, expiring, or deeply backlogged. Still, because so many cameras of the F2's vintage suffer from various age-related issues that buying another is often buying a new set of headaches. Your call.

As for quality film camera service? Get it while you can.Somewhat unnerving that the old pros for major make camera service are retiring, expiring, or deeply backlogged. Still, because so many cameras of the F2's vintage suffer from various age-related issues that buying another is often buying a new set of headaches. Your call.

Good point! It is getting harder and harder to get these old cameras serviced.

I voted to buy the F2AS and service the F2SB. The saying, "you can never have too many F2's," is true.

As for getting F2's serviced, you can try the legendary Sover Wong (Google him). I'm on his waiting list to get an F2 Photomic serviced, both the camera and the DP-1 meter prism. If I recall, fixing the DP-1 will cost slightly less than $100. I can live with that.

F2AS and/or F2SB? raj

Both are of course the most feature laden of the Photomic top offerings; one is the more modern Auto-Indexing and the other early lens type non-AI.

It really depends upon your collection/volume of non-AI lenses, and your desire to use them on a Nikon F2...

Vincent and Gus - thanks for your input. For the price, I'm tempted to jump on the F2AS. And it looks like the voting so far is unanimous. You chaps seem to have little regard for my wallet! :)

I got your message via "conversations," but I didn't see any way to reply. So I'll reply here - glad you're enjoying the F3. I just recently got back into photography after several years absence. I'm enjoying it immensely.

To spare your wallet a bit....

You could get your current camera serviced (probably worth it anyway), and look for another Nikon on the side.... but something else than a F2 (which you already have, so more fun in getting something else!).

Some time ago, I got a Nikkormat FT is very good shape, and it's a pretty magnificent camera. It has no battery for the light meter and probably in the end I'll never insert one. Mechanically it's all sound, hefty and in proper working order. It doesn't feel any flimsier than my F3 (but I have no F2 to compare with). Being a slightly lesser-known model, it's a whole lot cheaper than a F2.

• Like 1

You have what is most likely the most collectible of the various F2 models, simply because there were fewer F2SBs built than other models. So in that respect, getting yours serviced for about $200 is worth the price, I think. I also think that if you shop around you might be able to find a competent repair facility that will do the repair for less. There's one local to me that still repairs older cameras, that has reasonable prices and a quick turn-around time, so I know they stilll exist.

About that F2AS, you stated that you can pick one up for half the estimated repairs on your SB. That means you can buy an F2AS for $100, which is a remarkably good deal if eveything works on that camera. So I would say, definitely buy the F2AS (because it's so cheap) and then have your SB serviced.

I've owned an F2AS and an F2S -- the immediate forerunner to the SB and I've given some thought to the different meter coupling methods and which is the best way to go. Most folks will respond by stating that the AS of course is the better choice, but is it really? Consider all the lenses made from 1959 to about 1978 that used the prong and post to couple the meter -- almost 20 years worth of lenses. And for at least another 10 years after the switch to the AI meter coupling method, the lenses still had the prongs. So that's somewhere around thirty years worth of lenses that will work with your SB in its normal fashion. Whereas with the AS, you can only use the early lenses in stop-down mode, which is something of a hassle. Yes, you can use many of the AF lenses on your AS, but will you really want to? Cuz most AF lenses don't feel as good in their manual mode as manual focus lenses do. So I think a good argument can be made for the SB (or the S or the plain old Photomic) as being the more practical camera to use.

• Like 2

To spare your wallet a bit....

You could get your current camera serviced (probably worth it anyway), and look for another Nikon on the side.... but something else than a F2 (which you already have, so more fun in getting something else!).

Some time ago, I got a Nikkormat FT is very good shape, and it's a pretty magnificent camera. It has no battery for the light meter and probably in the end I'll never insert one. Mechanically it's all sound, hefty and in proper working order. It doesn't feel any flimsier than my F3 (but I have no F2 to compare with). Being a slightly lesser-known model, it's a whole lot cheaper than a F2.

Sound advice, Wouter - thank you. I do have 2 other Nikons (F3 and FE). So the rational thing would be to just service the F2 I already have, and then have 3 fully functional (and excellent) bodies. However, I must say that sadly, my rational brain deserted me when I began my interest in classic cameras :)

You have what is most likely the most collectible of the various F2 models, simply because there were fewer F2SBs built than other models. So in that respect, getting yours serviced for about $200 is worth the price, I think. I also think that if you shop around you might be able to find a competent repair facility that will do the repair for less. There's one local to me that still repairs older cameras, that has reasonable prices and a quick turn-around time, so I know they stilll exist.

About that F2AS, you stated that you can pick one up for half the estimated repairs on your SB. That means you can buy an F2AS for $100, which is a remarkably good deal if eveything works on that camera. So I would say, definitely buy the F2AS (because it's so cheap) and then have your SB serviced.

I've owned an F2AS and an F2S -- the immediate forerunner to the SB and I've given some thought to the different meter coupling methods and which is the best way to go. Most folks will respond by stating that the AS of course is the better choice, but is it really? Consider all the lenses made from 1959 to about 1978 that used the prong and post to couple the meter -- almost 20 years worth of lenses. And for at least another 10 years after the switch to the AI meter coupling method, the lenses still had the prongs. So that's somewhere around thirty years worth of lenses that will work with your SB in its normal fashion. Whereas with the AS, you can only use the early lenses in stop-down mode, which is something of a hassle. Yes, you can use many of the AF lenses on your AS, but will you really want to? Cuz most AF lenses don't feel as good in their manual mode as manual focus lenses do. So I think a good argument can be made for the SB (or the S or the plain old Photomic) as being the more practical camera to use.

Michael - thank you for your detailed response. Your points about the older F-mount lenses (many of which are mechanically and optically fantastic) are well taken. I can get the (apparently fully functional) F2AS for just over $100, so I think I will do that, and then seek to have the SB serviced when funds permit.