Nikon ES-2 Slide Copy Adapter to Ship in March

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by Ed_Ingold, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hmm... interesting. Can it be used on cameras other than D850? Is there anything built-in that prevents it from working with other cameras? I do understand that the D850's high resolution is a plus for digitizing, but does it work with other less-resolution camera?
  2. Oh I see, the D850 has a special scanning feature. For those of us who are without a D850, perhaps we can use the old ES-1 if we want to do so.
  3. The ES-2 is a passive device similar to the ES-1, with a telescoping tube for focusing and adapters for 62mm and 52mm filter rings. It can be used with any camera and a lens that focuses to 1:1. I use a Nikon 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor (1:2) with a PK13 extension ring. The ES-2 has enough extension to use with a 60 mm macro lens, but not with a 90mm or 105mm macro lens. You would need about 4" of extension for these lenses between the lens and the ES-2..

You don't need ultra-high resolution. A 24 MP camera equals the resolution of a Nikon film scanner, more than adequate for slides and film strips. Focus is critical, but live view makes that relatively easy. A true macro lens has a flat field at close range, which is also important.

Since the camera, lens and ES-2 are screwed together, camera shake is not an issue. You can use any shutter speed without special precautions. Using a daylight LED bulb in a desk lamp and ES-1, my typical exposure is 1/4 sec at f/8.

The D850 has a special function to invert color negatives. That's easy enough in Photoshop, and more flexible. Photoshop has a canned inversion function that works poorly, IMO. There is a lot of difference between color film types, and the color is strongly dependent on the light and exposure level at the time of exposure. Slides are easy, and you can often improve the exposure and color.
    Mary Doo likes this.
  4. Thanks Ed. After reading something about it, I went ahead to order an ES-1 - which is available now - as I only deal with slide film, thus no need for much of the accessories that come with the ES-2. I have also looked at some videos on YouTube. I am thinking I can try using a white foam board at the background with white studio light for reflective light and probably throw flash at the board too if not bright enough. Let's see... :)

This method seems much easier if working well. I have not used the Nikon LS-4000 for years now since someone borrowed it and returned it with parts scattered. Thanks Ed.
  5. Rather than shine the lamp directly into the ES-1, I bounce it off a white exposure card, held at a 45 degree angle. Combined with the diffuser on the ES-1, t\This leave no hot spots in the illumination. I use a continuous light with shutter priority. You don't want the aperture to change, because that affects DOF and probably the focus as well. I fix the white balance based on the holder without a slide, and the ISO at 400. With flash, you must rely on the electronic turn-down rather than the camera for exposure control.

Light from the LED lamp has a very even spectral response. There's a spike at 480 microns, which doesn't seem to affect the color

It's important to keep the slides and images correlated. I sort the slides by frame number, and renumber the results with a code based on the date last taken and frame number.
  6. It will be interesting to experiment. As mentioned in my prior post, I will test with studio [continuous] lights bouncing off of white foam core poster board. Hopefully this light source would suffice. If not, I will add another strong LED light. Will see... Thanks again.
  7. Copying slides is something you ultimately do only when you have a spare moment. A quick setup is essential. I have studio lights, but a desk lamp is quick and dirty. Since there are no limits on shutter speed (the components screen together in a rigid assembly), and digital does not suffer from reciprocity law failure, just about any continuous light source is useful. With flash, you would have to be very precise with the setup, with regard to both the geometry and exposure.

That done, I can copy 5 boxes of slides (@ 36-40 exposures) in an hour, including setup, sorting and cleaning. So far its about 25 down and 400 to go. The ES-2 is by far the easiest way to copy film strips. For slides, the ES-1 is nearly ideal. It doesn't require as much handling as with a slide carrier (which can disturb the setup), and it's easy to center the slide in the holder by sight and touch.
    Mary Doo likes this.