Nikon D70S all pictures are blurry

andy_andress

<p>My Nikon D70S has worked great for several years and all of a sudden all images are coming out with as vertical blurs. I've searched the <a id="KonaLink0" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11819">forum</a> here as well as other sites and can't find anyone else who's had a problem like this. I've reset the <a id="KonaLink1" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11819">camera</a> and no improvement.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas on things I should be trying?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.<br /><br />Andy<br>

<br /></p>

<div>00a5aL-447039584.jpg.099bc4d693de0ffa59b54d69c198509e.jpg</div>

<p>Andy, is the camera showing any error messages? Does the shutter sound normal to you when actuated? Have a look here - might be your problem:<br>

<a href="http://johnbagnell.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-fix-d70s-or-d70-shutter.html">http://johnbagnell.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-fix-d70s-or-d70-shutter.html</a></p>

<p>Your sample picture looks like ones from the Sony sensor recall some years ago but I've never heard of D70/70s developing sensor problems.</p>

<p>Alternatively, I've come across descriptions of D70/70s cameras with internal flat ribbon cables dislodging from their connectors. It would be an easy check/fix if you're handy with basic tools. </p>

<p>Keep it for special effects. I quite like the look of that example you've posted.</p>

<p>It's probably nothing to do with the shutter, since the exposure appears fairly normal as far as we can tell from the runny pixels. Does the image dribble horizontally if you hold the camera vertical? ;-)</p>

<p>The shutter curtains travel vertically. That matches the blur in the image. </p>

<p>For curiosity, remove the lens, set a slow shutter speed, and watch what happens.</p>

<p>The D70s can be purchased used cheaply, probably for less than a repair bill. Look at KEH, Adorama, etc. Maybe time to upgrade to a newer body. Even used. When I got a newer body, my D70s sat around used only a couple of times when my fiance would out shooting with me. Its sensor, low ISO deficits, etc. put it a couple of generations behind what has followed, which are outstanding.</p>

<p>Can you try a new battery? Might be a power problem. The time stamp on the file is 2005-01-01 00:00:41 which could mean the internal battery (for powering the clock) has failed. But the timestamp might have come from the green button reset instead.</p>

<p>And this might be a silly question, but are we looking at the full frame image or a 1:1 crop? The image resembles sensor blooming which is the sort of thing that could happen at 1/15" f4.8 if it's not very dark where you were shooting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks, everyone, for the input and ideas. In no particular order:<br>

-the shutter does sound normal<br>

-I tried the sticky shutter trick (didn't have anything to lose), but no change<br>

-the time stamp is due to the reset - the time was correct prior to resetting<br>

-I did exchange batteries so it's not a power problem, as well as the memory card, just to check (even though the captured image is the same as the one on the LCD display)<br>

-it's the full frame image with no cropping involved<br>

-I don't know how to get the shutter to activate without a lens on -- is there a trick to this to check it at a lower speed?<br>

-unfortunately NOT a home-knit fringe pullover, so no luck there<br>

-in terms of loose flat ribbon cables, I'm fairly comfortable taking these types of things apart, so if you can send instructions/tips for that, I'd appreciate it<br>

Thanks again everyone -- any and all help is appreciated!<br>

Andy</p>

<p>So I took it apart, checked and tightened all the ribbon cables and still have the same problem. Any recommendations for good used models to get? I've got AF NIKKOR lenses I'd like to be able to use, don't go for many of the special features (leave it on Auto for 90%+ of my shots), and want great quality. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that. </p>

<p>You might consider another D70s. I've not come across another D70s camera with your specific problem so yours might have been the unexpected exception. The advantage of another one is, you now have spare parts from the old camera. </p>

<p>Since all the educated guess have already been made: It looks like a combination of white balance completely off, and pixel spill (blooming) due to overexposure. Plus a bit of blur due to shooting 200mm focal length at 1/15th second.<br>

Can you post a few more pics with the white balance set manually? And maybe a few flash pics? It also can't hurt exercising all the buttons/dials (I'm specifically thinking the exposure mode/program dial on the top left). Any sudden temperature/humidity changes (condensation) this winter for the camera?</p>

<p>If all else fails, the D7000 is now available for more or less the same (ok, ~$200 more) as what you paid for the D70s. So it's not even an upgrade, it's just a 1:1 replacement. Perfect timing.</p>

<p>Some potential replacements ordered in image sensor quality from low to high (according to the internet): D70/D70s, D80/D200, D300, D90, D5100/D7000 (same sensor). The D80 and D5100 do not have an AF motor, and thus can't drive your (non-S) AF lenses. There are more Dxxxx between D90 and D5100, I think.</p>

<p>So here are a few more photos, taken with a mix of exposures, White Balance settings and built-in vs external flash. Definitely some differences, but I'm far too much a novice to have a clue what they mean. Any thoughts are welcome.<br>

Thanks again, everyone, for the help.</p><div>00a8M7-449901584.thumb.jpg.1cf0486507ab97d994196551564fc488.jpg</div>

<p>So here are a few more photos, taken with a mix of exposures, White Balance settings and built-in vs external flash. Definitely some differences, but I'm far too much a novice to have a clue what they mean. Any thoughts are welcome.<br>

Thanks again, everyone, for the help.</p><div>00a8Md-449903884.jpg.9b5692a23a4548df7c9866a78345a02d.jpg</div>

<p>CCDs need strings of electrical pulses that are controlled with extraordinary precision to clock out the pixel data. If I had to guess, it looks like the horizontal (in the orientation shown) pulses are fine, but there are missing pulses in the vertical drive. This is one possible cause of vertical smearing having a discrete sort of look. Unfortunately, the problem could arise in either the microcontroller generating these pulses, the circuitry and connections between the microcontroller and the CCD, or in the CCD itself, and there is no way for anyone to tell exactly what went wrong without doing much more work than the camera is worth.</p>

<p>However, don't sell it or have it fixed - you may have a gem in your hands. Purchasers of art want unique works and there's no question that your camera produces utterly unique images. Somewhere, there's an artist who would pay you good money for your camera. You just have to find that person. ;-)</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Tom - thanks for looking and your explanation makes sense to me. I'll keep an eye out for that elusive artist that might want my camera and in the meantime will use Stefan's recommendations to look for a replacement.<br>

Thanks everyone for your help!<br>

Andy</p>