Nikon D7000

dave_dejoy

<p>I am not sure what the "best" price means, but prices are determined by supply and demand. If you want a really low price, you need to wait until the demand is low; that is, when almost nobody wants it. Unfortunately, that means probably even you also no longer want this camera. For example, if some day some D7000 Mark II replaces the D7000 and then some D7000 Mark III replaces Mark II, by then the original D7000 will certainly be very cheap.</p>

<p>As far as I am concerned, the D7000 introduced at $1200 two years ago was a major bargain. Now it is $200 cheaper, and it is a wonderful deal. Of course, we are also two years closer to Nikon introducing a replacement, but I don't know exactly when that would happen, probably in 2013.</p>

<p>I have a D7000 arriving today. Nikon's prices are pretty fixed. The D7000's list is $1,199, and it currently sells on-line for $996.95 (after having been just below $1,100 a few moths ago). I have found no particular "deal" on these cameras, and thus $996.95-$999 is the current retail price range (in the US).</p>

<p>Once I have it, I can get back to you with some initial impressions. I have been using Nikon equipment for years, and so I think my initial thoughts should be useful.</p>

<p>In terms of what may be coming down the pipeline, I respond: who knows? Some users have been waiting about three years (!) for a Nikon "D400." With FX being so popular, I doubt we will see such a camera.</p>

<p>I echo Glen's comment. I have been shooting with a d7000 since they came out and I love it. It took a little getting used to as far as the small size is concerned but after adding the battery pack it became a non issue. I would imagine a d7100 soon but I also have doubts about a d400. <br>

-Cheers</p>

<p>"In terms of what may be coming down the pipeline, I respond: who knows? Some users have been waiting about three years (!) for a Nikon "D400." With FX being so popular, I doubt we will see such a camera."<br>

"I would imagine a d7100 soon but I also have doubts about a d400."<br>

I'm not sure I agree. If the d600 came out with the rumored price of 1500 USD then I wouldn't see the need of a d400 or d8000. However, with the d600 at a price point of 2100 this does leave open the option for a 24mp or so DX camera in the 1400-1600 range. </p>

<p>The Canon 7d is a good seller and there seems to be fairly solid talk of a replacement coming. I just don't see Nikon surrendering that market to Canon. I do think a D300 replacement of some sort will come. If a 7d replacement comes but a D300 upgrade does not, I will be taking a close look at Canon for the first time ever.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Kent: I, too, have been considering Canon recently. My problem, though, is that I have a nice selection of Nikkor MF glass. </p>

<p>The 7D (and its replacement?) interest me. From what I can tell of my D7000 and its accessories, Nikon is increasing its China production. I see my D7000 is made in Thailand, but the MB-D11 and other items indicate "Made in China." I have also noted that many of Nikon's newer G lenses--even the more expensive primes--are made in China. Interestingly, Canon's 7D is made in Japan, and Canon's new G15 ($499) is also made in Japan, while Nikon's competing camera, the P7700 (also $499) is made in China. It seems that perhaps a pattern is emerging for Nikon. </p>

<p>At one time I was a big time Nikon fan-boy. It was the only camera system I owned. Then in the mid 1990s I bought a Bronica 645 system, and then got into 4x5. I remained a die hard Nikon fan though. Over the past couple of years I've bought and sold many different high end classic cameras and lenses. The upshot is I've come to not have so much "personal investment" into any one brand or even format of camera system. The important thing is to have something that will do what you want it to do. A 7D replacement with that Canon 17mm t/s lens would be an excellent start!</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kent: my experience is similar to yours. Over the past ten years I have experimented with virtually every 35mm brand there is. I liked Nikon for most things, but other brands clearly had their good qualities, too. I wanted to experiment with medium format, but never got that far. Indeed, the Canon gear is tempting. The Pentax K-5 is also tempting. However, I like lager bodies, and the K-5 is one of the smallest on the market.<br>

Regards,<br>

Glen</p>

<p>d7000 is a very nice camera. I have been using this camera for about 1.5 years and very happy with it. It's sensor gives superior iso performance and contrast comparing to d300 and d300s which are both nice cameras. d7000's price which is around 1000$ is also very tempting.<br>

However, in my opinion, I would suggest that you buy the new d600 if you can afford 1000$ more + the fx lenses if you do not have any. Why ? Because this camera has a full frame sensor, you will have the advantages of low light performance, shallow depth of field, nice bokeh, wide angle photography, dx mode that offers 10.5mp quality resolution if necessary, bright viewfinder, larger viewfinder, etc... Thus, the full frame has advantages and not shortcomings over the dx. In other words, it has more coverage. For this reason I beileve that dx will fade away somewhere in the future. The newest technology d600 with the price tag of 2100$ seems to me very good camera to buy.<br>

The decision boils down to your budget of course. Good luck.</p>