Nikon D700 Hands On Preview posted on dpreview.com

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by photo5, Jun 30, 2008.

1. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/

2. Let the feeding frenzy begin.

3. Lex,

the "elements" on DPR are already at it. Why can't we all just get along?

Lil :)

4. Just out of interest is the high ISO as good as the D3?

I probably wait til I get whatever FF 2nd hand, whatever price tag for me is too expensive. I got DX lenses so I am kitted up already :)

5. The imaging chip, EXPEED engine etc. are identical to D3. So yes, one would expect the D700 to perform as good as the D3. I've only used pre-production D700 cameras, but they bear this assumption out.

6. Not sure if I missed the info in the article, but did anyone see any mention on how deep the buffer memory when shooting in jpg, raw 12-bit and raw 14-bit at 8fps?

7. Lex... I know you are waiting for the replacement of the D80. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever come. That is so strange.

8. at 8 fps (using MB-D10), You can shoot as many JPEGs as your card will hold, or up to 23 12-bit NEF, or 20 14-bit NEF files before the buffer fills up. The only other downside I can see is many of the DX camera holders will have to step up and buy all FX lenses. From what I've read using a DX lens on the D700 stops down the resolution to a weak 5MP... so who wants to buy my D80??

9. What's so weak about 5mp with that kind of low light performance?

10. I have a bunch of FX lenses in my bag, they are all Manual Focus Nikkors however, but they would work just fine on the D700, or so I assume having never used one.