Nikon D610

dave_dejoy

<p>Well mostly for digital SLRs I have worked with Pentax products but want to venture into full frame. I am thinking about the Nikon 610 as an entry level body. I have several film era Nikon lenses. At this time point, is this a good choice? I have read about some spotting and quality control issues with the 610. Can I be confident these have been taken care of? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks.</p>

<p>As long as you are aware that the D610 is really just a re-badged Nikon D600, introduced in September 2012, and the D610 is one of the only two "current" Nikon DSLRs that are stilling using the old EXPEED 3 CPU inside and its AF module is Nikon's second best Multi-CAM 4800 AF module, there is nothing really wrong with it. If you are sensitive to price, maybe get it used or refurbished. For all practical purposes, Nikon has updated the D600/D610 to the D750 with newer electronics and better AF, but the cost is higher.</p>

<p>A three-year-old DSLR is very old technology for a "current" DSLR.</p>

<p>The problem of spots on the sensor, stemming (I think) from some issues with the shutter mechanism, appeared in the D600. Nikon addressed the problem by upgrading shutter mechanisms in customers' D600s and replacing the D600 in their product line with the D610, which has a different shutter from the D600. I am unaware of any consistent problems in the D610.</p>

<p>That was a major factor in my decision to buy one. I've had mine for less than a year so far and have not had any problems at all. I, too, purchased the body based on already having older film-era lenses. In my case, my telephoto lenses are all FX compatible, but I use my 30-40 year old manual focus AI lenses for wide angle and normal focal lengths. They work beautifully, and the manual focus doesn't bother me because 1) I have lots of experience using them, and 2) the subjects I shoot with those focal lengths are stationary - easy to get the focus right.</p>

<p>I have Nikon DX bodies that have worked very well, but I have to say that the D610's image quality, especially at higher ISOs, is sensational.</p>

<p>Still humming along with a relatively early D600. Haven't had Nikon do their offered service to it (don't even know if that's still an option), and though the camera gets a regular workout, I've only really felt the urge to scrub the sensor just once. Otherwise, I'm just puffing dust off of it. Most of my subject matter these days doesn't call for high performance action-style shooting, but I'd certainly like slightly better AF than what's onboard that now slightly aging body. Have happily resisted any upgrade, and watching prices on the D810. Maybe. Have to confess that some of the Sony A7 variants are talking to me, since I've got lenses in that world, now, as used on a Sony NEX-line video camera.<br /><br />The 600/610 can produce some stellar images. It produces large-ish but manageable file sizes, and the ergonomics are tolerable (though I'd prefer the D8xx format). Some sensor cleaning is a fact of life on any DSLR, and I don't find it at all burdensome on the D600.</p>

<p>I bought a refurb'd D610 awhile back, went through some shutter issues, Nikon replaced the entire shutter mech at no cost, and I've not had a problem of any sort since. It's a fine tool. I know it's not the latest and greatest as far as the technology, but delivers fine images once you get it set it up to your needs. Everybody's experience is different, and cost is certainly a factor as mentioned previously by some other folks, so take that into account. Some folks gotta have the latest & greatest, most fabulous current thing camera out there, I'm not one of 'em. I think it's a good bang for the buck camera. Just my 2 cents. </p>