Nikon D50 Digital camera

Yeah better than the D40, it will even autofocus all AF lenses!

But do consider the options outside of Nikon - Pentax and Sony in particular - their cameras may give the beginner more bang for the money. In body anti shake is the key feature that will be very helpful for beginners. Nikon and Canon offer this feature only in some (expen$ive) lenses.

Nikon / Canon is good if you intend to build your lens collection by buying used lenses, or rent big lenses you can't afford to buy.

The D50 was my first DSLR and I still take it everywhere and use it a lot. The key to this and other cameras is to buy the best lens you can afford so you can see what real Nikon image quality is all about. I use D200s now, but the D50 has some great programming modes (like night, portrait, etc.) that make it really easy and convenient to use.

The ONLY two areas that I fault the camera is the noise on ISO speeds higher than 400, and that it can't use older Nikkor lenses, but the results are still amazing. For the money, you'll love it!

The ONLY two areas that I fault the camera is the noise on ISO speeds higher than 400, and that it can't use older Nikkor lenses, but the results are still amazing. For the money, you'll love it!

Michael must be confused. The D50 is one of the highest rated cameras when it comes to LACK of noise. ISO 800 is a dream and I use 1600 all the time with alittle help from Neat Image.

The D50 is a nice camera at a nice price. I looked very hard it at before buying a 10mp DSLR

(A-100). Now might be a nice time to get a good deal on one. If you can stretch it I think

something like the A100 or the new 10mp Pentax would be a better choice but if you can't

the D50 is a great value and will take some nice pictures.