Nikon 60mm Macro lens

andy_chubb

All,

just a quick straw poll (if that is possible!). I'm up for buying a 60mm macro lens - if I could get one is it worth trying

to get hold of the older Nikkor 60mm D version, or is the newer AF-S version worth the extra £110 (about $200)?

Has anyone experience of both lenses?

I've a D80 at the moment - would look to move to a D700 next summer and will use the lens for portrait as well as

macro. I've discounted the 105 as it was slightly too long for what I'm planning to use this lens for.

60 is a good macro for APS. It will probably be too short for a D700 and most portraits but certainly can be used for shots

including much of the body, just not for head shots.

The AF D version is the old screwdriver type focus which are being phased out in favor of AF motors inside the lens barrel. It is a

fine lens, but if you select 60 mm, then I would get the new version.

The problem with the new G lenses is the large size diameter.

For true macro work where AF is of little value. AFS is probably a doubtful addition, unless you intend to use it extensively for general photography. Even then, there are probably better choices. Don't let that discourage you from buying the lens. I use my 60mm Micro Nikkor quite a bit, especially for copy work. For regular macros, I prefer the greater working distance of the 105mm Micro Nikkor, or my 85mm tilt/shift PC Nikkor. Next up will be the 200mm Micro Nikkor for when I can't get close enough.