Nikon 50mm f1.4 - which is better, the new or old version

brucecahn

<p>Hi: I just bought the above digital lens at B&H. Then I read a post on photo.net reviewing the new version of the lens. Not being much of a Nikon user, I did not know that the lens has been replaced. I have a week to return it and get or order the new version. Which do you think will be better? In other words are they downgrading to save money, or upgrading to improve quality? My past experience with Nikon film lenses is that they know how to make a very good lens, but will also sell you a mediocre one for less money. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?</p>

<p>The recent photozone.de review of the new 50/1.4 AF-S Nikkor indicates it's somewhat better corrected optically, but the reviewer's comments indicate autofocusing is no faster compared with the previous "screwdriver" AF Nikkor: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/413-nikkor_50_14g</p>

<p>Optically, it appears very good for a fast lens, acceptable wide open for casual use and improving dramatically stopped down to f/2. It'll be interesting to see how many photographers vote with their wallets to enjoy these marginal improvements.</p>

<p>If you read the archived threads on the Nikon forum you'll see many debates over the merits of the various 50mm lenses from Nikon, Sigma, Zeiss and the "Beseler" reissue from Cosina/Voigtlander. And if you can parse the B.S., you'll see that there's hardly a nickel's worth of difference between all of these very good lenses.</p>

<p>At this point I'm sticking with my plain vanilla 50/1.8D AF Nikkor and old 50/2 AI Nikkor. If I need something faster I'll probably go for a manual focus 50/1.2. If I had my druthers I'd want a Noctilux, but unless I inherit one that ain't gonna happen.</p>

<p>Thanks Lex. I had a Noctilux f1 and sold it because it was soft wide open, heavy, and blocked a lot of the viewfinder. I don't even use the autofocus on the Nikon lens. Still not sure what to do. The lens I have is OK at f2, so maybe I should just keep it.</p>

<p>The new 50 f/1.4 has a different optical design. It includes 1 extra lens element. I suppose the inclusion of the SWM wouldn't be the only change/improvement with this lens. As the first brand new normal lens design from Nikon in years, it should be, and probably is better.</p>