Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf problem--rotating collar

joseph_smith3

My Nikon 500mm pf lens has a problem--I cannot get the knob on the rotating collar to fully engage and stop the lens from rotating when it is mounted on a tripod. I have turned the knob as tightly as I can, but it will not fully engage and stop the lens from rotating.

Is there anything I can do on my own to fix this?

Anything that a local camera repair shop might be able to do? (In Houston we still have a good one.)

Or do I need to send it to Nikon?

I got my 500mm pf lens when they first came out. Not sure if this a warranty issue or not.

Thanks for any ideas of things I can do and not do.

Note--this not a problem with the foot.That is another separate issue.

Joe

My Nikon 500mm pf lens has a problem--I cannot get the knob on the rotating collar to fully engage and stop the lens from rotating when it is mounted on a tripod. I have turned the knob as tightly as I can, but it will not fully engage and stop the lens from rotating.

Is there anything I can do on my own to fix this?

Did the problem exist since Day One? I would certainly call Nikon Customer service to discuss - about the problem as well as the warranty issue. Then go from there. Good luck Joseph.

I bought and sold this lens when I thought I would concentrate on using M43 for telephoto. Now I have put an order to buy it again as I am tending back to Nikon with its Z system.

Just checked my 500mm PF, and it works fine. Unless your lens is gray market or you are not the original owner, any 500mm PF should be less than two years old and well within Nikon USA’s 5-year extended warranty, I would send it to Melville (Long Island) for warranty service. Nikon in Los Angeles is still closed due to Covid-19.

But perhaps it doesn’t hurt to let your local repair shop take a look.

P.S. Two months ago, I had the misfortune to send a DSLR body to Melville for repair, again, since Nikon LA was closed (and is still closed). At least in that case the repair was very quick, just a couple of days. However, Nikon ships UPS Ground and that took over a week from NY to me in California.

Edited by ShunCheung

• 2 months later...
Here is an update of my experience with Nikon service in Mellville, NY. I sent my Nikon 500mm f55.6 pf lens to Nikon about Oct 10-12. I got an email from Nikon that they would fix it for no charge around Oct 21. I checked about a week later at the Nikon service website and found out that the repair was waiting on parts. I got the lens back today, Nov 19. It was shipped UPS and the packing was excellent. I did not get an email from Nikon telling me the lens was fixed and would be shipped. And I did not go to the website to check on its status. Problem seems to be fixed so I am a happy camper.
  • Like 2

Joseph, good to know your 500 PF is fixed.

Nikon USA ships UPS Ground. My D5 repair this year was very quick, only 2 to 3 business days, but they shipped ground from Long Island to me in California. The return shipping took a full week. If you get a lot of UPS shipment, you can set up an account with UPS and specify your address. Whenever there is shipment to that address, they will notify you in advance, usually a few days in advance so that you won't get any surprises. FedEx also has a similar set up.

• Like 1

Hi Mike. Good question. The paperwork that came with the lens did not tell me anything abut what was fixed. It did state all of the thing that they checked out.

In looking at the collar and knob, I could not determine how they fixed it or what they did to fix it. I just tested the knob to make sure it locked the collar when the knob was turned.

Shun, I did have a UPS account so I got an email from UPS alerting me to delivery the next day. That is good advice for all of us.