Nikon 18-35mm G vs 24-85mm VR

wuyeah

Hello guys,

I have been out of camera world for a long time so I don't know which to choose anymore...

I don't shoot portrait often and have a 50f/1.8 .i know I need something wider that is why these two and price range is in budget. At

overlap range 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm which is better choice? I personally care the 35mm range the most. I shoot street using 28/35

most of the time. VR is not whole lot concern for me in this range but it sure is good to have.

I read a lot of review everyone is so good I don't know how to choose.

Thanks,

W.

<p>I see on the 24-85 the most useful range. From indoor scenes to portraits.<br /> The 18-35 is more a "specialty" lens, extreme wide angle for wide scenarios at very short distances to a moderately wide view, like group portraits or narrow streets.<br /> If you, e.g., like to walk to take some street pics, the 18-35 will be great as a versatile wide angle lens, but always limited to the wide view. Not suitable for closer views, portraits, details, etc.<br /> With a 24-85 you have a very wide lens, but also a short tele. Cannot be more versatile.</p>

<p>this is a tough call, as i said it depends on how much you like to shoot wide. they are really two different types of lenses, the 24-85 is a standard zoom, 18-35 is a wide zoom. if your widest lens currently is 28mm, 18 is going to literally open up all kinds of new perspectives, but can also be challenging as far as framing if you havent worked with an ultrawide before. also huge difference between 18mm and 28mm. if you dont shoot portrait much and your longest lens is a 50mm, the 51-85 range may not matter to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the 18-35 will be great as a versatile wide angle lens, but always limited to the wide view. Not suitable for closer views, portraits, details, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>this isnt completely accurate. obviously you cant do telephoto on a wide zoom. but the 18-35 focuses a little bit closer than the 24-85, and of course a wide view is suitable for an environmental portrait where you are emphasizing background. unless i specifically was planning to shoot more portraits, i'd probably go for the wider lens, since you get more "uncharted territory," as it were. when buying a new lens, it's important to think about what it specifically adds to your photographic arsenal or quiver that you don't already have. the 24-85 has more general versatility and works as a one-lens solution. with the 18-35, you will probably also want to carry a 50mm or longer at least some of the time. if you're happy with your current primes, you could also consider the 20/1.8, which gives you a wide angle as well as a fast aperture for interiors and low-light.</p>

<p>Since you're shooting full frame and like to shoot street then the 18-35 would be my lens of choice. I use a 35/2D and sometimes a 20/2.8 non D for street and have considered the 18-35 for street and landscapes. I have the 24-85VR and it is a fantastic lens, it seldom leaves my D700. For everyday use it's the more practical lens giving you a nice wide 24mm and 85mm on the long end is nice to have. Reading reviews it compares quite well with the more expensive 24-120/4VR optically.</p>