Nikkor 24mm for D300

chris_burgess3

<p>Hello,<br>

I have a simple but specific question; I own a Nikon D300, and I'm just about finished putting together a set of manual focus lenses for it; I have a 35mm 2.0 ai, a 50mm 1.8 ai, and a 85mm 2.0 ai. A wider lens I might like to have, but I'm not sure it's essential to me; I have a Nikon F3 and a 35mm Nikkor O (ai'd) and a Canon F-1 and a 35mm FL 2.0 concave, so as far as that goes, I'm already covered for wide angle, but a nice cheap (under $200.00 used in good condition) sleeper 24mm manual focus lens that performs great with the D300, with nice sharpness and bokeh like the Nikkor O would be nice to have. Anything remotely like that out there?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Hi Chris, For your budget, there is really only one choice: the 24mm f/2.8. I think you might find a used AF version, which is slightly better than the AIS, but probably for its coating more than optical design. I also like the AIS f/2 version, but I've noted they are going for about what they cost new. 24mm is one of my favorite focal lengths on FF or DX.</p>

<p>I had an AiS 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor when I used a D 200 and D300. It performed admirably for it's comparitive low price but I found 24mm neither here nor there as a focal length on DX bodies - I much preferred 35mm on DX. <br>

My 24mm AiS f/2.8 was used to take close up photographs of natural subjects like fungi, small plants, alpine plants etc and showing a little of their habitat in the wider frame. The lens does this well but is hopeless when shooting into the sun - I sold it and kept my Ai 20mm f/3.5 for this sort of close up work.</p>

<p>I used to use a 24AFD on my D300 with perfectly right (although not impressive) results. <br /> The AF system worked perfectly, it helped me to have better focused pic (= keepers).<br /> I also have a 24mm manual focus, which I almost never used due to the lack of AF (I find it difficult to focus under dim conditions).</p>

<p>Another user of a 24 f/2.8 (Ai) on a D300. Works fine, corner sharpness on my sample if not great till f/5.6, but otherwise it's fine from f/2.8 on. Nice, small, simple, light, and in my view a great focal length on DX (but, I also like 35mm on a filmcamera). Indeed not very wide, but very useful, I think.<br>

The MF 24 f/2.8 should certainly be available within your budget.</p>

<p>I use the 24 AFD on my DX body and it is a handy focal length and a nice small, and relatively inexpensive lens. Does not have the 'pop' of the classic Nikon primes but I find it perfectly acceptable on DX (probably because the edge softness that this lens is known for is mitigated on the smaller format).</p>

<p>I know you are looking for an MF lens so will not go on about the AFD model, but in general if you are not looking for super-wide, but want something to give a moderate wide on DX that is good for indoor, group, and such applications the 24mm I think is a good complement to what you already have. In fact I often enjoy going out with just an 85 and either a 24 or 35, depending on whether I'm planning on being in small or larger spaces.</p>

<p>Chris:</p>

<p>You will find the 20mm f/2.8 is bulky and heavy and gives you the equiv. of a 30mm film lens. I have the 24mm f/2.8 D Nikkor which is aabout the same coveragee as a 35mm film lens (one of my favorite focal lengths. If you want something cheaper and wider keep your eye open for a Tokina AF 17mm f/3.5--the equiv of about 25mm film. They don't make 'em anymore but I use mine a lot.</p>

• 2 weeks later...