Night Photography - Color negative film recomendation for trip to Las Vegas

Hi, I am traveling to Las Vegas in August and interested in taking

photo of the city especially at night. Which color negative films

would you recommend that I bring with me for the trip? I am thinking

of 100 iso for daytime and 400 for nightime. I will also try the 100

iso on a tripod at night.

Which 100 and 400 iso films would you recommend especially for the

night shots? I have never shot with 800 film before. Should I try

this also? Would you prefer Fuji or Kodak?

Thanks in advance.

Kirk

Kirk, make sure you take plenty of film with you, there are way too many things in Las Vegas to photograph, day and night, and follow Gerald's advice, don't use a flash, use a tripod instead. I was there two years ago, and I used basically slide film, I shot Kodachrome 64 and Fujichrome 64 T for some night shots where I wanted a more natural look.

If you are using negative film, any 100 ISO like Kodak Gold 100 or Fujifilm Superia 100 will do, and you can take some 400 ISO for night shots if you want, but is not absolutely necessary.

My money is one Agfa Ultra 100. Bright, vivid colours almost on the verge of 'garish' and dare I say perfect for a city like Las Vegas.

For the 400 option, pack Fuji NPH 400, rate it at 320 and don't tell the lab you pulled my 1/3 of stop when you get it processed. Colours are brighter and neon lights start to sing.

Stu :)

PS. Don't forget to pack your tripod and shutter release cable...

Superia is slide film, it isn't very good, cheap yes but you can get a much heigher quality emulsion for only a few dollars more. I'm an avid night shooter and my personal favorite is fujichrome astia, this is, like superia, slide film but it produces incredible images with very fine grain. you need a tripod or monopod if your going to shoot at night but for the images you'll get it's well worth it.