Nick Turpin- terrific blog post on street photography

asher

<p><<<<em>How many other forms of photography essentially have ‘wonder’ at their heart?</em>>>></p>

<p>I can name about 17. Anyone else?</p>

<p>________________________________________________</p>

<p>I like the idea of street being an attitude, more than many other delineations I've heard.</p>

<p>The idea of embracing the everyday is helpful but it's been around for a while and nothing too new.</p>

<p>As for street being spiritual and intellectual, I like a good blend of sensual and physical thrown in, too. Sexy is good, too, though I suppose some see sex as spiritual, others not so much. And there's nothin' wrong with down 'n dirty on occasion.</p>

<p>He claims it's a mistake to apply too much weight to the exposing of the photo. There, we're not in sync. The entire experience of making a photo, the feel of the street or the landscape, the encounter with other people, are all important. But that, for me, doesn't lessen the import of the photo itself which, for me, is profound. Otherwise I'd just be a <em>flâneur</em> and drop the camera.</p>

<p><<<<em>In photography you [the street photographer] are odd because your motivation is not financial and you don’t go to photo trade shows unless it’s to people watch.</em>>>></p>

<p>LOL. He seems not to recognize how many other photographers in so many genres are not motivated by finances and don't spend any or much time at trade shows. </p>

<p>_________________________________________________</p>

<p>Yes, an easy read. Thanks, Asher. Always interesting to hear others' takes on photography.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!