NiCad vs NMH

ward

I have been using my old Rollei 3003 and when the five NiCads went

dead I found that I had lost the charger for them. I got some NMH

batteries and a NMH charger but then noticed in big bold letters in

the battery compartment: USE NICAD BATTERIES ONLY. This camera was

produced before NMH batteries were available (late 1980s).

Can anyone think of any reason NMH batteries wouldn't work perfectly

well in any application where NiCads were previously required?

I recall reading that with this camera you aren't supposed to use alkalines or regular manganese cells, so possibly the NiCAD warning referred to using only rechargeables.

In some instances (hand tools, for example), NiCADs often worked better becuase they can handle the heavier electrical current requirements under load than NiMH, but possibly that has changed now as well.

For a motor driven camera, I would think that the NiMH cells would be an even better alternative than the NiCADs because of the higher MaH ratings. Both AA cells deliver roughly the same voltage (1.25V-1.3V) over the life of the charge.

As a guess, the warning is intended to prevent using higher-voltage alkaline cells (1.5v or more nominal) in a circuit intended for the 1.2v nominal NiCd cells. NiMH cells are the same nominal voltage as NiCd cells, so if that's the reason for the warning you should be fine. However, don't call me if you fry the camera... <|;^)

NiMH - have faster self discharge rate (bad), higher storage capacity (good), no cadmium (good), higher internal resistance (bad for high current loads)

I think in this case, they are a wise choice. If the camera spends a lot of time unused, then you may find the batteries die faster due to self discharge.