I am getting newton rings in the shadows when I scan my sheets on the flatbed

scanner in the digital lab I use. It is a Linotype/Hell scanner. I am thinking

that taping the neg down would keep the top glass from smashing the film, while

also keeping the film flat. However, this is not my scanner. What kind of tape

would be safe to use on the glass, and what materials would be best suited to

cleaning it afterward?

Thanks,

Keith

You can also try scanning the sheet backwards making sure that the film does not touch the

glass. There is also a chance that the Scanner lamp's heat will rise the glass temperature,

and this, will diminish the rings... at least that is what some scanner manufacturers claim.

Use a piece of construction paper or simular heavy weight paper cut out for the negetive size and use bule painters tape to hold the negetive taut to the construction paper, positon on the scanner paper to glass and scan as usual. The extra thickness should not affect focus.

If the emulsion side of your film is a bit more "matte" than the base side, put that side of the film down against the glass. Sometimes it is just enough to prevent Newton Rings (success varies by film type). Prazio makes an anti-newton spray. Fluid mounting can help but it produces issues of its own in some situations (e.g. bubbles). If you want to put together a fluid mounting kit fairly cheap, I have put up some tips on how I did it for less than $60:

<p>

<a href= "http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/cheapfluidmounting.html" </a> "Tips On How to Economically Assemble a Fluid Mounting Kit"

</a>

<p>

Doug

• 2 weeks later...