news agencies that buy photos?

fire fotos

<p>Does anyone know of the main new/media agencies that buy photos from freelance photojournalists on the ground? And also how to go about getting in contact with them? I tried contacting Reuters but no response so I'm not sure if I'm using the right channels.<br>

Thanks in advance for any advice.</p>

<p>i took a look at your gallery before posting this. a freelancer has to be 'very' good to get any attention. if that is not an option, then you need to be in the right place at the right time for major world events, and hope that none better than you is there.</p>

<p>Aloosha you must read what Jeff is saying and make it your mantra. <br>

Do a search for "media phonebooks" or something of that sort and you'll start building your contact list. Your own "media phonebook" will become your most valued possession. <br>

be ABSOLUTELY sure that if you submit something it is top flight because that first submission will make you or break you.<br>

google>media phone books<br>

google>a photo editor blog<br>

google>lightstalkers<br>

good luck! </p>

<p>You have to be in the right place at the right time and get the shot they're looking for for a story for THAT DAY. A little experience in the news biz doesn't hurt if you want to be taken seriously. If you go to a third world country that's going to have a election Tonight, for instance, you'll likely be able to get your shots picked up. But do you know what AP pays freelancers? $50 a shot or $150 for a days work. I would bet Reuters, a smaller agency, pays about that or less. You don't actually have to be that good to work for an agency. They're looking for competent photographers who can shoot, report and file from anyplace in the world without costing them time. If you want to contact agencies, I suggest skipping the yellow pages and stopping by their offices with your portfolio, your gear, and a strong look of Interest.</p>

<p>I'm interested in this question too. What <i>are<\i> the usual avenues in approaching news\ photography agencies? Should one spend time building up a portfolio before even approaching an agency, and then call in, unannounced hoping they'll give you work? Should they build a career in with local press hoping that they'll be noticed? How has anybody else began their careers in this area?. It is dificult to know how to get going in this business</p>

<p><em>My qeustion was how do you go about contacting agencies and who they all were. I take it that none of you know the answer. Thanks for all the negating and irrelevant statments though. I'll ask elsewhere.</em></p>

<p>Look, I'll be frank. If you can't find this information yourself by looking on the internet or your local newsstand, then I really have to wonder if you have the initiative it takes to be a freelance photojournalist. I can tell you from experience - it takes a LOT of initiative. Without a salary and an editor throwing assignments your way to make that salary worthwhile, you need to have the initiative to find out where the news is happening (whether in the world, or in your own backyard), the initiative to go out and shoot, and the initiative to start making phone calls and sending emails when you think you might have something worthwhile.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that everybody and their brother is also doing what you're doing - news is no longer the exclusive realm of someone with professional gear and a press card. The Everyday Joe with a cell phone camera, who is already at the scene while you're stuck in traffic, is your new competition.</p>

<p>I'll give you some hints to start you off on your quest for knowledge. Since you obviously have access to the internet, look at the news stories at the top of your favorite search engine. The pictures are accompanied by little lines of text called captions, and captions usually end with something called photo credits, and they usually say "PHOTO BY JOE BLOW/AGENCY". Google what you see in "AGENCY" (the text in that position, not literally the word "agency" which I'm using just for illustration). Do the same thing for your local newspapers. Google is your friend. Find the contact info of the photo departments of those names and you'll know who to contact if you get something you think might be worth their time.</p>

<p><em>I tried contacting Reuters</em></p>

<p>And what'd you say, "I want to work for you?" With the volume of inquiries they get from wannabes, they probably already have their filters set up to reroute emails with that phrase directly to their spam folder. In any case, there's always merit in doing something yourself rather than expecting to be spoon fed information. What you're looking for is a mere click of the mouse away. Go for it.</p>

<p><em>I'm interested in this question too. What <em>are<\i> the usual avenues in approaching news\ photography agencies? Should one spend time building up a portfolio before even approaching an agency, and then call in, unannounced hoping they'll give you work? Should they build a career in with local press hoping that they'll be noticed? How has anybody else began their careers in this area?. It is dificult to know how to get going in this business</em> </em><br>

<a href="../street-documentary-photography-forum/00TGM2"><em><br /> </em> </a><br>

<a href="../street-documentary-photography-forum/00TGM2">http://www.photo.net/street-documentary-photography-forum/00TGM2</a></p>