student in Townsville, Australia and have recently established my own

website. I am very corious to know what people think of it and whether

anyone has any suggestions for ways to increase the number of hits i am

recieving.

All comments greatly appreciated!

http://www.justinschaller.com

Cheers,

Justin

Like Art said--adequate, but nothing too special. What sets you apart from the crowd? Why should I care about your pictures? The initial image doesn't exactly draw me in; is it your best work?

One thing on the actual site: for the mouseovers on the links on the intro page, it takes quite a bit of time for the extra pictures to load. That gives your site the feeling of being unresponsive, which can frustrate and bore your visitors. To fix this, use a bit of JavaScript code to "pre-load" the photos, so when the user moves the mouse over the links, the images will be nice and responsive.

Also, your site should have some sort of "sticky" element, to make your visitors want to come back for more. For example, on photo.net, people come back to read the forums, and get their photos critiqued. I'll let you figure out a solution for this one on your own... just remember that a good sticky site will definitely be more successful than a dull static one.

Justin, go to a fine art museum with a fine permanent display of great art and note how different people view the works: most walk by with out stopping or just pause briefly until they see something that grabs them. Others will plant themselves before a favorite work and just stare respectfully for a prolonged period. I've done both. Remember, we are supersaturated in images, both "artistic" and commercial (which are often quite good), and we tend to get jaded. Face it, most images we see are derivative, even if they are well rendered and honest. I know everything there is to know about art, photography, and beauty, but I don't know what I like until I see it.