New Red/Epic/Scarlet cameras

alan_w1

Hello.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on these announced-but-not-yet-released cameras. I read about them on

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/scarlet.shtml. In particular, is this page for real? I must admit I checked

to see if it was 1 April. Will the cameras ever make it to market? And the 6x17 sensor? Who makes these? All

thoughts welcome! Thanks.

Interesting idea ... if you have tens of thousands of dollars and need a very modular approach for reconfiguring a basic high end unit into various formats for still or motion picture photography.

Who makes it ? Red which is a privately owned company whose primary investor is the guy behind Oakley sunglasses, and yes it will definitely make it to the market.

The RED camera is for real. Already some movies are shot with the RED cameras and the first high end photographers are

using them to capture quick moving sequences for magazine publication. The new step with the Scarlet/Epic cameras will

only improve on this. The classic camera manufacturers, especially medium format, must be shivering..., best, Mark

I disagree that these are threatening medium format digital.

They are very expensive, very large and heavy, don't work with flash (they use a rolling shutter), and post-processing will take a lot longer, if only to pick selections out of 10,000 frames!

They might help in some situations but generally a photo has to tell a story in one frame, so you can't just pick a frame from a video.

I think sports and action is a much more threatened field. After filming a sports event, you can now pick a frame and have it in very high qulaity suitable for print.

I say Canon better watch out, not medium format!

• 1 month later...

<p>Hey Graham, i never followed up on this.<br>

I never worked with the new cameras and don't know about rolling shutters but my guess is that you can shoot this with a much lower frame rate than 100fps, i'm thinking of 3-5 if you even need that. With this you could at least shoot available/continues light.<br>

As for flash sync, the new Profoto-8 has an incredible recycle speed and if you sync this to the camera you're in business...Otherwise i'm hoping they adapt this to work with the current equipment (aka pocket wizzards) as well.<br>

I'll guess we'll see once they hit the market.</p>