New NEX?

I had a NEX 5N, three lenses, EVF, Flash upgrade. I sold it all a month ago. My reasons were:

although I liked the camera and it produced images as good or better than my 7D under the right conditions, it did not have the capability to do sports or wildlife because of tracking and focusing issues; it lacked really good fast lenses because of its size; and, the EVF was not a good as the optical finders of my Canons. Some of that has been taken care of in later NEX models I am sure. However, Sony is now out with a new version of cameras and lenses and although the Emount fits it vignettes on the new full frame in the new A7 models which don't yet have a full line of lenses. I think there is a sensor coverage adjustment to accommodate the emounts on the A7, however. Lastly, because I do sports I didn't use the NEX all that much. I did have the 5N since November before last so almost two years. I took a lot of pictures. It was great for parties and social events and head shots and groups at swim meets. The 16MP sensor is very good and made great 13x19 blowups for me. But, alas, it was sitting around too much in the end. I really like the smaller size. My current bag weighs about thirty pounds compared to about three for my 5n and lenses. The current addition of another Sony lens line and the potential use of adapters confound the use of Sony for me. I have Nikon friends who still like Nikon over Canon because Canon changed lens mounts in 1988 for the current EF lenses. That was twenty four plus years ago. So if it fits your uses I think the NEX line is pretty great. It did not really fit mine. I am not clear where Sony is going with all this at present but as far as technology goes I think they are way ahead of the game.

<p>Dick, NEX-6 works excellent for sports with 10 frames per second and PDAF focusing for zeiss lenses. Also using A-mount lenses (like sony 16-50 ssm) through LEA2 adaptor provides you with fast focussing speed. You can look at my Sports and Rodeo folder - all done with NEX-6.</p>

<p>Historically Minolta would have produced a Nex-9 by the numbering scheme for the "pro" version of the camera. My Nex wears Leica M lenses most often and occasionally a Alpha/Minolta mirror adapter and a Sony/Zeiss 16-80 zoom when I need AF. It is an excellent camera for manual work. I haven't heard anything but it would be in line with what Minolta then and Sony now might do.</p>

<p>There are some annoyances in the Nex-7, like accidentally hitting the video button but nothing major. Maybe the 9 would have more weather sealing or something. Or maybe if it's even possible, it would have a full frame sensor. Except how would the existing lenses work with that?</p>

<p>Maybe they should just convert the RX1 to an interchangeable lens system.</p>

Vlad. You have some very good photographs in your portfolio. That's a matter of talent as well as your ability to use the NEX 6. I think I got into mirrorless a little too early in the game. The A7R looks to be a very good buy for 36MP. I would like to see the new EVF. The EVF I had on the 5N had a slight delay when shooting sports and the camera only focused on the first frame when shooting at a ten frame rate. It also was not as good as a Canon OVF in bright light. I shoot in dim light sometimes in large indoor swim venues. f2.8 is barely adequate in some cases. So hence my three pound Canon 70-200L. What I said above and as indicated with the A7R Sony is out front with this stuff. Its just that I have this big investment in Canon L lenses. I tried them on the 5N with an adapter. Not so good.

<p>"<em>with 10 frames per second</em>" - only 3 fps participate in focus re-evaluation between each frame.</p>

<p>Even if in Phase detect focus, when it cannot keep up tracking, it switches to contrast detect and looses tracking focus.</p>

<p>NEX-6 is not a sport camera as there are other more appropriate DSLR cameras, ... but sport pictures were taken with Hasselblad and other less apropriate cameras, subject of determination of the photographer.</p>

<p>"<em>with 10 frames per second</em>" - only 3 fps participate in focus re-evaluation between each frame.<br>

Even if in Phase detect focus, when it cannot keep up tracking, it switches to contrast detect and looses tracking focus.<br>

Frank, does it mean that 5 fps by A7 is of better value than 10 fps by NEX-6? It might be interesting!</p>

Vlad. My 7D focuses at 8 Frames per second and the buffer holds somewhere around 18 frames before the buffer fills. The Canon 1DX has a bigger buffer. At maximum I usually shoot only three or four frames with the 7D but most are in focus and the Canon AI focus tracks each frame to keep them in focus. To my knowledge the 5N did not have anything equivilent to AI..

• 1 month later...

<p>"Hi all, <br />I'm about to put my money down for a NEX-6 and wonder if anyone has heard any rumors about something new coming from Sony? NEX-7(II) or NEX-8 etc."<br>

Well over a year ago, people were pretty sure an NEX-8 was soon to put in an appearance. No such beast yet. <br>

Lots of people think the NEX-6 is superior to the 7. If you wait until the newest version of the camera comes out, though, you might have a long wait - and miss a lot of great photos with a great camera.</p>