I've just joined this forum and wanted to post a link to my Leica D-Lux 3

gallery. I spend a lot of time at Dpreview but wanted to expand to other Leica

communities.

I would appreciate any comments on the use of the D-Lux 3 either by yourself or

a comment on the images I have produced using this camera. You can view them

at: http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux3/

Jim

Jim:

Your photos look fantastic. I did the same thing last year with the D-Lux 2. I travel for my job and always wanted to have a camera with me, the D-Lux 2 does the trick. I am a Nikon/Leica user and find that I can get decent results on the road with the compact D-Lux 2. I'd be interested to compare the results between the two cameras (D-Lux 2 and 3) and I am a junkie for the latest technologies and have been wondering if I should upgrade.

Thanks for sharing your shots.

Regards,

Tony

p.s. I've attached a recent shot taken with the D-Lux2 in some difficult light (harsh sun and shade).<div>00LxB3-37576784.thumb.jpg.4974954bbdfdc82e22398afa66d67154.jpg</div>

Jim, you are a black and white photographer! That work is superior in my

mind to your colour work. The use of light and composition in the B&W

images is very good. I hope that the boosted colour is not a property of the D-

Lux 3, as I will soon be trying it after leaving aside my system camera. I only

have PS Elements but refrain from using the colour controls in that simple

software as they are very tricky to use and get a natural looking result. But

keep up yopur B&W work!

For Arthur.. all settings in the D-Lux 3 are set to standard and noise reduction set to low. Color boosting is something I enjoy as well as muted colors.. I do my share of both. I do very much enjoy BW photography but always shoot in color and do BW conversion in PS.

The D-Lux 3 is capable of boosting color but on standard settings you get very low or faithful color images.

Thanks for the comments.

Lovely gallery Jim!

I never failed to be amazed at how capable this little camera is. I carry mine with me practically every day. I think it's almost unfair to call the D-Lux 3 a point-and-shoot, given that it affords the photographer far more creative control over the exposure than a lot of larger cameras. It's tiny but it's a real photographer's camera in spite of its diminutive size.

One day,one day,perhaps....someone will put a DSLR sensor in a compact. They will take the market overnight.

But, in the real world they all work together,and offer just enough so you will upgade.

Is it called a cartel? The problem is when all manufacturers are coming from the same place....and are all happy chappies together.

Gentlemen, This is so well-timed ! I am on the cusp of making a buying decision as I travel to Costa Rica next month. I had bought an Olympus E500, but returned it when the E510 was announced. I never did replace it , and now wonder if the D-Lux 3 might just do it- small, unobtrusive, and convenient. So, here is the question- Aside from the obvious advantages of a DSLR, will my prints - up to 11x14, look any better or worse with it ?

Thanks Jim.. the more I use the camera the more I appreciate it. I originally had to force myself to leave the 5D at home because I was afraid of missing the shot with my "good" camera but in the last month I have not taken the 5D with me once....

Now, if it were a paying gig or concert work.. yep, I'd use the 5D.. but for my own enjoyement and challenge... I'm using the D-Lux 3.

• 3 months later...

Jim, Exactly agreeing to some photographers of whom the digital ones are inferior, agreeing that the Panasonic has perhaps not been the ideal partner, etc., etc., etc., You it represents the meeting of a part of art - the Leica - with an excellent photographer - you exactly!

I am to designer and I always used the Leica has many years, processing my proper B&W with developers special but you it surprised me at its magnificent work, its B&W, its sensitivity of framing, composition.

This is one link where they are my photos, 80% of them with D-Lux :

http://www.photo.net/photos/claudiomartins.te

Your photos look fantastic.

Claudio Martins

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Excellent gallery of photographs, Jim. I was researching the new Leica D-Lux 4, and came across (somehow!) your site with images from

the D-Lux 3. Clearly, it's a combination of good camera and excellent photographer, with a skilled hand in post-processing. I completely

agree with you too, about photography always having been more than just an image straight from the camera. One of my favourite shots,

was actually the self-portrait you did in your truck. The colour and tone is fantastic (of all the photos in fact). Anyway, I've just bought the

Leica D-Lux 4 - the Panasonic looks like a dogs dinner to me! Hopefully I can capture some great shots too.

Cheers, Rich

I guess I stumbled onto your D - Lux 3 Gallery when I Googled images for the D- Lux 3. I also like using small sensor cameras from time to time and I find that your images are simply amazing! I love the subject matter and the colours. For the past two weeks, I have been reviewing them on a daily basis for inspiration. Thank you so much and all the best.