New iMac 27'' How to calibrate monitor

<p>dont be surprised if 120 luminance tends towards too bright. normal range is usually 90-120 but that ultimately depends on viewing area brightness.</p>

<p>yes, i1 can calibrate the other monitor. put the software 'window' in the second monitor and it'll know it's on the second monitor and Do The Right Thing</p>

<p>i use gamma 2.2 / 6500k / 110 luminance as i find that 120 is a tad too bright vs a print. I print on commercial press, in magazine mostly and billboard, on my epson and sometime in a external lab... all 3 match closely what i have on screen.</p>

<p>Im not sure you will be able to have 2 monitor (your imac and the 20inch) with different calibratiomn, i think the last calibration will be use on both.. this is one of the reason i got a NEC 2690 with Spectraview to make sure that the monitor had is own calibration without going thru the video card... i could be wrong on that.</p>

<p>On my last MBP I had the laptop LCD calibrated and assigned a different calibration to an external (separate Color control panels came up for the two monitors in extended desktop mode) so I would think that an iMac should be able to do this, unless there's some shortcoming I don't know about with that model.</p>

<p>I've seen complaints about some iMac models not calibrating well at lower brightnesses - on one recent model I tried 120 was the lower limit of what looked right. If that happens, one thing to try would be calibrating at 75% brightness then adjusting brightness later.</p>

<p>Andrew the color calibration was always the same with all the mac, i think that even if you can choose 2 different one, one is in fact the real one apply in the end.. will need to ask Andrew Rodney about that.</p>

<p>As for the brigthness problem, its a thing of the past .. all the new metal 22inch and 27inch can go down to 16.. yep 16.. way too low for all our need ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p>16? Okay, I'm impressed. I'd retry the external monitor test but my current Mac is mini displayport and I didn't bother to get the adapter, but I'm 99% sure that when I had my SXRD TV as my external monitor (these have fantastic color gamut - great for slideshows) I had different profiles loaded for that and the internal display on my old model Macbook Pro.</p>