New EU Copyright regulations sound very ominous for photographers

movingfinger

Yesterday the EU Parliament passed (and opted to not pass) some new copyright regulations for the internet that look to be terrible for photographers with websites. One item stipulates that a spectator cannot post photos or videos of sports matches, only the event "organizers" are permitted to do so. The EU rejected a "freedom of panorama" provision that would have made it legal Europe-wide to post photos of street scenes without worrying about infringing the copyright of objects that appear in the background, e.g. ads on the sides of a bus or a building, etc. I don't know what the status of such "freedom of panorama" rules are in individual countries in Europe. You can find more of the details of these regulations and what it could mean here. What logic motivates these legislators?

A stale bureaucracy is what you get when centralizing power in the purported service of democracy.

How long has it been that Disney items have been out of copyright? It's centralization and monopoly, not only governments. I think these changes were not thought up by the "State".

I sometimes feel that there's a lot to be said for Anarcho-Syndicalism, although that is not my personal flavor.