New Article on Canon FD system in _Black and White Photography_

david_goldfarb

Well, depending on where you are it may be new, but the September 2003

issue of the British magazine _Black and White Photography_ (not to be

confused with the U.S. publication _B&W_ aimed at print collectors)

has a nice two-page introduction to the FD system by Mike Johnston.

Good to see something new on the old system in print.

Thanks for pointing out the article. I was able to get hold of a copy today at Barnes and Noble. The way the author goes about making his points struck me as a bit goofy, however. Here is a couple of quotes from the article "Nowadays, nobody wants Canon FD stuff. Canon enthusiasts and Canon using pros, plus anyone who wants the status of owning the latest and the greatest have all switched to EOS...Collectors are generally the exception." But then the author goes on to state "Used Canon FD stuff is simply the best bargain in all of photography right now." I guess the author of the article, Mike Johnson, is unaware of the Canon FD discussion list activity either here at "photo.net" or at the Canon FD list at "groups.yahoo.com". The author has a personal website at "www.37thframe.com", but no email address to contact him is listed there.

Despite the activity here and moreso at Yahoo!Groups, I think he's basically right. FD gear just hasn't captured the imagination of many collectors in the way Leica, Zeiss, Canon and Nikon rangefinder, Hasselblad, and such have, and many people want autofocus and the latest electronic features, and there is a huge glut of high-quality FD gear out there, so it's an excellent way of building a versatile 35mm system at a reasonable cost. The same could be said of the Bronica S-series for medium format or Graflex for 4x5".