.nef files wont open in CS4, Help!

shannon_h1

<p>Hello all, I am a fairly new photographer, and am loving learning technique, both in capture and PP. I just started to experiment with shooting in RAW+JPEG format, and I can't get my NEF files to open in Adobe camera RAW. I start in the bridge, but can only see thumbnails of my JPEG files, not my NEF files. When I select a NEF file and ask CS4 to "open in camera raw" under the file menu, It says that it doesn't recognize the file type. Am I missing something here? I'm shooting on a Nikon D90, if that helps. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Thanks Curt. You don't think that was the FIRST thing I did? I read, read, and read some more, tried all the tips, and I'm still having trouble. Nice to know I won't be getting help here, just snarky folks who think they know everything. I appreciate the advice.</p>

<p>Shannon: if you did try all of the tips and pointers you've come across in searching this site on that very specific topic (which, indeed, comes up all the time), you should mention what things you've tried that haven't worked. If you have got the most recent updates to ACR (you don't mention whether you do or not), then that would be helpful to know, in getting to the bottom of the problem you're having.</p>

<p>Ok Matt, here goes. I am on a windows machine, not a Mac, for starters. I have updated PS, and have downloaded the Raw update 5.6 from the Adobe website. I am unsure as to whether I need to go about renaming or deleting certain files in my computer. I apologize for sounding stupid - I take nice photos, and am becoming more competent in CS4, but computer software and hardware issues are my downfall. I'm sorry if a stupid question offends all of you, but I need a walk through type answer, which I am completely unable to find. What I need to know is where to go from here. CS4 should support a D90, so why in the world can't I get the darn NEF files to open??? :) </p>

<p><em>I have updated PS, and have downloaded the Raw update 5.6 from the Adobe website. I am unsure as to whether I need to go about renaming or deleting certain files in my computer.</em><br>

Go to Help > Updates in Photoshop while connected to the Internet. This should make the installation of the necessary files automatic. I have observed sometimes the <em>Updates</em> may not be visible unless a file is open. If you downloaded files separately they may not have gotten in the correct folders - not to mention the 32-bit/64-bit confusion now.</p>

<p>I will use Nikon Transfer to transfer the files from the camera to the computer and then from PS File menu just open the .NEF file. It automatically opens the file in camera raw window and only after that you can go to the PS. If you are not using Nikon Transfer, it might be the cause of the problem. And if you are using nikon transfer, then it might be the PS which is the problem.</p>