.NEF files do not open in photoshop CS

roman_forquy

Hi,

I am getting very frustrated having spent the last few hours downloading plug-ins and so

on... nothing will do. the photos were taken with a D1X. I have a mac running on OSX.

Nikon View 6 is up and running and I can see the photos there. i have installed the camera

raw 2.4 plugin as well.

when i try to open the file in photoshop CS i get a basic window with white balance and

exposure correction with no image preview. if I click "ok" CS tells me it could not complete

the request because of a program error. i can see the files (thumbnails) in the photoshop

browser or when i go through "open". but the same window pops up in CS, the nikon

software i reckon and the image does not appear. the camera raw software never shows

up...

i have read a lot of threads on .nef and CS and D70s, but nothing on my specific problem.

can anyone help?

thanks

romain

alan,

thank you for posting, but unfortunately i had already tried this operation several times.

removing the NEF plugin from the photoshop folder just results photoshop telling it could

not open the file due to an unknown extension.

also, it seems effectively that the nikon software overrides camera raw, yet the nikon software

in CS does not even show nor open the files...

Are you sure you have the adobe plug in in the right place? Its been a while since I messed with Cs . But I think you have to make sure the Adobe plug in is there and the Nikon one is not.

Sorry I can not give you the specific path I no longer have CS on my system and CS2 puts it in a different place

Michael

Not sure if this is your problem or not. Click on search on photo.net and type "Nikon NEF plug in". Take a look at the first thread that comes up. This references Windows and not Macs but I think you have to delete or re-name the Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi file.

Here's the plugin you need:

<p>

<a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2705">http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2705</a>. Once you download it you have to make sure it replaces both the original plugin from adobe AND the Nikon plugin (which has far fewer features than the ACR version). Unfortunately I also don't have CS anymore, but here are the directions from the same download page above:

<p>

<ol><li>Exit Photoshop CS. </li>

<li>Move the existing Camera Raw plug-in from the Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS/Plug-Ins/File Formats folder to a folder outside the plug-ins folder.</li>

<li>Copy or move the new Camera Raw plug-in from your download folder to the Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS/Plug-Ins/File Formats folder. </li>

</ol>

Hopefully that'll help! Good luck.

Roman, I'm running CS2 on OSX 10.2.8, not optimum but working pretty OK.

I actually need to re-install Photoshop at this moment in time myself because

of a glitch of it (PS) not opening anything! However, this has only happened

once before.

I use Bridge as my primary editing tool and open most of my files through it.

Have you tried opening a NEF file directly from Bridge? Camera Raw will

open and display the image. I can do this with both images processed and

not processed through NV6. It sounds like you may have already tried this

without result, but it may be worth a try if you haven't.

I would try re-installing just photoshop, which is what I am about to do. Don't

add Nikon View as the plug in. Keep it as simple and native as possible.

Here's a link to an Adobe troubleshooting page. I tried most of these when my

images wouldn't open (and mind you, I couldn't open anything at all), finally I

did the re-install as outlined and everything was fine, until a day or two ago.

Now it's time to re-install again. A bit of a pain yes, but... if it works...

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327279.html

good luck, Dennis

Again, there's no need to have Nikon plug-in to PS, at least I've never needed

it. PS handles my D2H files fine. As a matter of fact, I just discovered that

NV6 processed files won't allow batch processing of additional metadata in

bridge.

thank you to all the people who have contributed. unfortunately, i had already tried most of

these solutions, to no positive effect. i still can't open the files, all i get to see is a very

approximate thumbnail. even DNG converter 3.3 can't manage it. i am starting to think the

files might be corrrupted or something as disagreable...

i should have known better during the shoot and use large jpeg instead. no more raw files for

me. i will try to get my hands on nikon capture (will it manage? it should, but again) or CS2. if

anyone has more ideas, send them down. are raw files from D1X so different from that of a

D70? i think i will soon need psychological support...

Hi Roman,

Just click on my name in this post. One of the top links is <b>E-mail Greg Lyon:</b> 'request e-mail (20 second delay)'. That'll take you right to it here's the direct link: <a href="http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=136786">http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=136786</a>.

<p>

Eva, yours should be the same solution. With photoshop CS you need to download Adobe Camera Raw v2.4 plugin for Mac or Windows. Follow the instructions on the adobe download page to install it in the correct directory. Then you should just have to restart Photoshop and it should recognize your D50 raw files right away.

hey Greg,

thank you for your answer but the update camera raw 2.4 doesn t support nikon d50 (only

d70 and d100). I can t find a camera raw plugin for Photoshop CS who supports Nikon D50.

The only camera raw plugins i found who did support the D50 are made for Photoshop CS2.

Anybody knows a solution for this?

thanks Eva

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

bah. I just ran into this problem, with a D200 and Photoshop CS running on Mac 10.3.9 that also has Picture Project loaded. The difference in my situation is that Photoshop had no problems loading NEF images for the past few months, until this morning. I can't think of anything different I've done to my comp, except that I recently ran an Onyx maintenane, but I've done that before.

And I also just tried the DNG converter, and it didn't work. And removing the Nikon plugin, and getting the latest camera raw plugin which I probably had but just in case ...

I'm just gonna do this in Picture Project now. But I hope an answer pops up, especially seeing how this setup can indeed work, but for some reason has quit.

Rick.

whoops. OK, I got DNG converter to work. I had gotten 2.4 because it was bundled with CR2.4, as CR3.4 is unusable with CS.

I still have no idea why PS CS opened my NEF files. It did, though. For months. So I never had to try any other options, and I'm only reading all these posts about difficulties now. As well as downloading Nikon View and Lightroom.

• 7 months later...

ok, why don you try this,

first, install PS CS.

then install the Picture project(software that come along with your camera)

after installed, you will see additional Nikon*(Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi) files appear in

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats\Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi

hope this help.

OK, I had the same problem and pulled my hair out for a while until I figured what to do. I run Photoshop CS2 on mac OSX. I went to the Adobe website and downloaded the needed plugin to open these files in Adobe Bridge.. for mac its 3.7. If you have a look around you will see the plug in you need for Windows platform. (Im pretty sure its the same). You need to delete the Nikon plugins from your folder, Adobe has a pretty good explanation on what to do, follow exactly what they say and hey presto your files will open in the Bridge!!

Here is the link : http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=3.7+camera+raw

Just make sure you select the right version of photoshop and the right platform ( windows or mac )

Here is the direct link for photoshop cs for windows:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2433

Good luck and happy shooting

• 4 months later...

Hi Roman. I had the same problem. Just got a copy of Photoshop CS in an eBay auction,

and it wouldn't open my NEF format raw files from my Nikon D70. I looked and saw that

CS came with the Adobe Camera Raw version 2.0 plugin. Went to the Adobe website and

saw that their description of the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw, v. 4.2, said it would

work on CS, CS2 and CS3. I downloaded it, installed it, and it won't open my NEF files.

I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 3.0, which I got because it is able to open NEF

files. I copied it's Adobe Camera Raw plugin, version 2.3, into Photoshop CS, after

deleting versions 4.2 and 2.0. Photoshop CS now opens my D70 NEF files with no

problems. I put the Adobe Camera Raw 2.3 plugin in the Photoshop CS/Plugins/File

Formats folder.

Don't know if you can download v.2.3 from the Adobe website, but if you can, that

should do the trick. If not, find a friend who has Photoshop Elements 3.0 and get a copy

of the 2.3 plugin there. Good luck!

• 3 years later...

<p>an alternative solution is to use the context menu of windows. here's how:<br>

1. run "regedit"<br>

2. go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT<br>

3. open *<br>

4. you'll see there "shell". this is where you'll add a new key on the context menu<br>

5. right click on "shell", select "New", then "Key"<br>

6. you can name it whatever you want. i suggest "Photoshop CS5"<br>

7. right click on the newly created key, then again select "New", then "Key"<br>

8. on the right pane, right click on "Default", then choose "Modify"<br>

9. on the space that comes up, write the path to Photoshop CS5. In my case, "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Photoshop.exe %1"<br>

Exit regedit, then go to your .nef folders, and just right click on any .nef file. The context menu will pop up and you will find your newly created context menu. Click on it and CS5 will open the file.<br>

I hope this helps. Warning though. You have to back up your registry settings first before you do anything. Just right click on "computer" while on the registry editor, then click "export". That's it.</p>