Nef corruption

mark_green2

Hi everyone,

I have a Nikon d700 and sandisk extreme 16gb card (compact flash. )I shot 600 photos in raw format. However, there seems to be a

corruption. I have a card reader and when opening photos with adobe, the thumbnails show up perfectly, but when you click on the

thumbnail, many of the raw photo shows as horizontal, multicolored pixels. Some photos only show half of the picture. Can anything be

done about this? I also noticed that while I was shooting the photos, when I went to preview them in the camera, some of them had the

multicolored pixels. Please help

<p>The idea is to transfer the files to your computer first, then trying to open and process on your computer hard disc and computer memory.<br>

Opening NEF file from memory in a card reader is highly risky.<br>

Since you already have done this, there could have been some information written back to the card by your card reader device driver, or by the software that was trying to open it.<br>

Perhaps you are facing rescue operation on your files. There are many good rescue programs that work well on JPG, and some possibly on NEF.<br>

Search web for solutions. </p>

<p>You do know that 16 GB and 32 GB CF cards are not supported by the firmware in the D700 camera, right? The most recent firmware version will provide support for 64GB CF cards but the update says that 16 and 32 GB cards are not supported. The original firmware only allows up to 8 GB CF cards.</p>

<p>URL for firmware data http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16657/~/d700-firmware%3A-a%2Fb-1.02</p>

<p>I have been using 16 GB and 32 GB from the day one.</p>

<p>I believe the interpretation of the wording of the 64 GB upgrade is unfortunate.</p>

<p>I think, what it really means, that the 64GB upgrades adds only the 64 GB capabilities, without affecting the 16 GB, and 32 GB. This upgrade does not deal with 16/32 GB and therefore does not support it. The camera already had support for those memory cards 16 and 32 GB, and that remains unchanged.</p>

<p>It would be really silly to remove 16GB and 32 GB from D700 capability.</p>

<p>I would bet the images on the card are corrupted and permanently damaged. While I've only seen this happen once on a current Nikon DSLR's photos, I've run across it in previous years with older digicams' images. The damage to the photo is irreparable.<br>

Hopefully the culprit is a malfunctioning CF card, and you can avoid the problem in the future by obtaining and using different cards. If the camera continues to produce damaged images, however, then you'll need to send it to Nikon for service.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"You do know that 16 GB and 32 GB CF cards are not supported by the firmware in the D700 camera, right?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Incorrect! 16GB and 32GB cards work perfectly well in a D700. I believe the first release of the camera's firmware didn't officially support anything higher than 8GB, but this was quickly updated on later cameras, and from firmware v1.02 supports cards up to 64GB (if you can afford to buy them!).</p>

<p>Mark, what level of NEF are you using? If you've got the lossy compressed (non-reversible) option set, then I'd strongly suggest you change to one of the other options; lossless compressed or uncompressed. I've been using lossless compressed 14-bit NEFs for over 2 years with absolutely no hint of corruption. However I'd also suggest that the problem lies with the card you're using rather than the camera. Better to bin the card than lose any more pictures.</p>

<p>You might also want to try some file recovery software on the card before you scrap it - something like Data Doctor for example.</p>

<p>BTW Frank, I've never had any problem reading NEFs or JPEGs straight from a card/card reader into my image editor. It does exactly what it says and simply <em>reads</em> the file. Having said that, the nasty Windows Picture and Fax viewer will re-write an image file if asked to simply rotate it from landscape to portrait! IMHO, MS should get sued for any loss or damage caused by their crappy viewer. Anyhow, since Windows Picture and Fax scrambler doesn't support NEFs (thank goodness) I think we can rule that out as the culprit.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What you still could try is hooking up the camera to your PC , and transfer the images straight from the camera, possibly some of them still arive in good order, that way you take the card reader out of the equasion... but if the images are already bad in the camera there is not a lot of chance for that...</p>

<p>Saving the NEFS answer ignoring the is it supposed to work answers.<br /> I had this happen once before with my D700 and here is what I did to success.<br /> 1.) Try opening / importing with a Mac. Does not work to save all the pictures? Go to #2.)<br /> 2.) Run restore Program and proceed to #3<br /> <a href="http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7474/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzIxMTA0NjE4L3NpZC8yYUNYUldJaw%3D%3D">http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7474/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzIxMTA0NjE4L3NpZC8yYUNYUldJaw%3D%3D</a><br /> 3.) I found that it evidently was one picture, (The first one with the lines) that was corrupted in the beginning of the series. I deleted that photo and re-attempted, and I saved all the photos after the first one that I deleted.<br>

I lost one picture . . . (and importing into MAC allowed me to read all but the corrupted file. I wanted to save all of em so I tried restore)<br>

Success . . . Good Luck! Been there done above. :-)</p>

<p>PS I have found that every time the time zones are modified - I change the time on the cameras - AND do a FULL cleaning of each CF Card - this gets rid of ALL extraneous files and creates a virgin memory device. I really appreciate this forum to be able to learn, be reminded of past lessons, and to be able to share.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I believe the first release of the camera's firmware didn't officially support anything higher than 8GB, but this was quickly updated on later cameras, and from firmware v1.02 supports cards up to 64GB (if you can afford to buy them!).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>mm Strangly the discription forthe last firmware upgrade for the D700 says :</p>

<blockquote>

<p>•Support for 64 GB memory cards has been added. (16GB, 32GB are not supported, 64GB only)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I found this hewre... : <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16657/~/d700-firmware%3A-a%2Fb-1.02">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16657/~/d700-firmware%3A-a%2Fb-1.02</a></p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>•Support for 64 GB memory cards has been added. (16GB, 32GB are not supported, 64GB only)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow! Somebody will have to tell my camera that, because it's been working with 16 and 32 GB cards for several months now. And I seem to remember the firmware update to v1.01 saying that it now supported CF cards of higher than 8GB capacity.</p>

<p>Come on Nikon - stop messing about and check your own statements for accuracy! And stop recommending only Sandisk and Lexar cards. Other makes exist you know, some of which are more reliable IME.</p>

<p>Joe, I fully agree with you there...<br /> It gets worse though, : Nikon also publishes ( on the Dutch website ..) what cards can be used for which camera's, and curiously they say for D300 / D300S , and D90 that you can use 16g cards, but for the D700 .... ???</p>

<p>Here is the link, and btw "Goedgekeurd" is dutch for "Approved" ...</p>

<p><a href="https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27268">https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27268</a></p>

<p>A direct camera to CPU connection is best. There really is no good reason for using a card reader. I'm not sure about the reformatting of the card each time. An overwrite should be as good as a write to a freshly formatted card, if the writing process is functioning properly. The thumbnail is a separate file and not a smaller access to the original image. If the thumbnail seems to capture the whole image, it is probably there, but you may have a corrupted bit of code somewhere in the system. Have you done a hard boot of every processor in the chain? Did you recently upgrade any of the software?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>A direct camera to CPU connection is best. There really is no good reason for using a card reader</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What? I believe this is contra indicated.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure about the reformatting of the card each time. An overwrite should be as good as a write to a freshly formatted card, if the writing process is functioning properly</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A good habit is to ALWAYS reformat before every use. Especially if you are using several types of cameras. John, your answers are diametrically opposed to what I have been taught. However that being said, I have learned - who cares what the facts are - we all live by our own decisions, and if it works for you, good; however I hope Shun will become the ever guiding light here??? :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had (and still have) this same problem on my D300 from time to time. The file itself in my case is not corrupt, the corruption occurs the moment I copy the data. When i find such files, I copy them again (one by one) from the card, normally they are ok then. In all these cases I have however never experienced colored pixels already on the in-camera preview. In case the problem should not disappear copying the defective pictures a second time, I would proceed as follows:<br>

- download via USB not using any card reader<br>

- if not ok: download via USB to a different computer<br>

- if not ok: use a different card<br>

- if not ok: send camera to Nikon Service</p>

<p>Hope you get your system back running, I do know it's a pain in the neck not being able to trust your camera.</p>