Need Videography Basics to get Started ...

gloria_hopkins

Hi all: I was asked if I would do some digital videography for a

company that distributes movies and documentaries of all

kinds worldwide. They want me to do some wildlife, nature and

possibly travel documentaries and "shorts" that will ultimately be

sold via the internet (and at film festivals.)

Although they are aware that I do not have experience shooting video,

they made the offer based on the fact that I learned how to

take a decent photograph quickly and they say they are confident that

I could do the same with video.

This is an unbelievable opportunity for me and one that I am finding

extremely difficult to find anything to object to. I already have

ideas for the docus and I am excited!

My problem is that I have no knowledge of digital videography - at

all. I need to research everything from the camera and lenses to

tripods and whatever else I need to physically make the movies. As

far as I know, I will only be doing the photography, not the editing

or "post shutter" preparation. They are purchasing all of the

equipment for me and the budget is wide open.

While I am excited and ecstatic, I'm also scared to death and very

nervous. I'm a little overwhelmed with the new terminology and

equipment required and don't know where to start. If anyone has any

ideas or pointers for me about where and how to get started, I would

greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gloria

Gloria you may want to check out Videomaker magazine. You should be able to find past months issues at the library. They have alot of good basic knowledge every month.

I find it interesting that they are willingly putting so much into getting you started. There are literally scores of people coming out of colleges with backgrounds in the visual arts without jobs but with demo reels and alot more knowledge. A simple ad would immediately find them flooded with applications. Since I know this as a fact, what is it about you as someone without experience that has them so interested? I don't mean this as a put down, but something smells funny here if you get my drift. If they are expecting you to do the type of shootings that you mentioned, are they going to be fronting the travel money? What's your pay going to be?

I shoot professionaly as an independent doing commercials and show segments. The one thing that I have found in the trade is alot of BS. You have to watch and protect yourself. Make sure everything is stipulated and put down in writing. If they are providing the equipment fine, but make sure you are going to be compensated for your effort. Also make sure that you release nothing to them that isn't paid for. Everything you create is copyright and yours, regardless of equipment. Make sure you read any fine print proffered by them and don't sign anything without having someone knowledgeable reading it. If these people are on the up and up, they will understand. There's too many jerks in this business so beware.

As far as videography is concerned, it takes more than a ability to shoot a decent photograph a few times to make good videos. This doesn't mean that it can't be done, it just takes practice and knowledge of the tools as well as an inner sight about what looks good. If you need more help drop me a line and I'll do what I can for you. My partner who has been in the business for near 20 years would also be available.

Hi Wayne! Thanks so much for your wonderful offer to help and for your advice and insights. I do appreciate your taking the time to recommend the magazine and to warn me to be cautious. I can assure you that I am being very cautious.

In this case I'm afraid upon reading my plea for help, it sounds much more impressive than it is. I will not be doing anything for TV. People who aren't interested in birds, wildlife or nature will probably never see what I do. These are strictly documentaries/educational for sale via the internet. I won't be making a fortune and I won't be getting famous. But I will be getting experience and knowledge. And, I will most likely love doing it.

I am still learning the terminology and looking at cameras and what I really need. And I have not committed to anything yet :)

Also, my good friend is the one who asked me if I would think about doing this. She is the decision maker in this area in her company. What can I say? Connections.... And I'm very grateful.

Thanks again Wayne. I am sure I will yell for help!

• 2 weeks later...

I`ll 2nd what Wayne posted, plus getting into video is alot diferent than getting into stills,, I shoot video & some 16mm professionally for a living,(doc&news) I usted to do stills for a living, but Im a "vidiot" now.Shooting video or any medium with motion, editing, sequences, etc you need to know while you are seeing the shot or scene what are you going to cut to on the next shot, stills tell the story with 1 shot, where as video it is sequences of shots, so you have to shoot sequences of different shots of the scene, a master shot, that shows what the scene is, then go and get "cut aways" of closeups and mediums of the scene, to have something to edit to when the editor is going thru the footage, if you dont have anything to cut to, then the scene is a bust, unless it is all just long takes of the scene without stoping the camera with all the slop in between edits.As a still photographer who went to video shooting, it is hard sometimes for me to hold a shot long enough for a edit, so you need to hold on a shot at least 10 seconds to have enough for an edit.Also tape is cheap, shot alot to CYA(cover your a..).Theres no way to teach this on a web post, so you will have to go to the university of OJT...on the job training.Video cameras are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, there are many formats, it depends where the delivery of the final product is as to what and how much $$$$$ you spend on a camera, and what format..DV, DVCpro, betacam,DigiBeta,, Hi8 etc,, what is the budget for a camera???? 1grand, 3 grand, a $80,000 for a SONY digiBeta???

You need to know what format is best for the clients use, the Canon XL1 has alot of bang for the buck at 3Grand, but is not very user friendly, my betacam is easier to use and hold.The other half of video...SOUND is another skill level, Im a visualist, but I have to pay attention to sound when Im shooting cause it is part of the video that make the show happen.You will need a couple of mikes, a shotgun for ambient sound, and a good lav like a SONY ECM 44b for interviews.This is just a tiny weany bit of info as to how to shoot video, you can also email at the address below for more info,also some links , good luck and hold the shot..............beerbrain/Ronny

http://www.filmland.com/glossary/Dictionary.html

http://www.videouniversity.com/

http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

http://www.b-roll.net/

rptn88@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
The Maine Photographic Workshops holds a two week course in shooting and editing with mini-dv to get beginners up and running. The course is called the dv journalist workshop. Tuition is $1,395. Food and lodging and travel from Florida are additional. The next courses are held August 12-25 and September 23-Octobe 6. You might want to make this investment in yourself. Their phone # is 1-877-577-7700. Hope this helps.