<p>

<li>good optical quality

<li>small - pocket size

<li>no restictions on sensor size but not too overwhelmingly noisy

<li>no restrictions on price

<li>not complicated

<p>

I am thinking along the lines of a couple of Ricoh models but reviews seem to

indicate noise issues. Canon G9 is OK but a tad too big and complicated.

<p>

Other recommendations?

The DP-1 has a much larger sensor than other P&S, but it's not exactly a mainstream choice.

Most cameras w/o a protruding lens are "pocketable" to a degree. When you said pocket size, you really have to say what type of pocket you're talking about.

If you want something really neat, simple, and small, get a Sony W-55 or Canon Digital Elph SD1100. If you want something that doesn't has a lens that stick out, get any 1 of Sony's DSC-T series or Nikon's Coolpix S51.

The Canon G9 is a higher end choice. But it's not considered pockable by all.

I toiled with a similar decision for some time. I think you'll run headlong into noise issues to some extent with the vast majority of PnS. These cameras are overwhelmingly designed for a far less sophisticated / discerning crowd. Exceptions are few.

I opted for a Ricoh GX100 in the interest of wide (24mm AOV on 35mm format), IQ, compact, RAW and manual control. An optical finder would have been the icing. Shoe-mounted finders are an accident waiting to happen...SNAP! As for noise, I shoot low ISO.

I can't imagine being restricted to a 35mm lens (AOV) at the wide end but that is where most PnS start, including the much-ballyhooed G9. I find the selection process to be a matter of identifying three or four, very specific 'must have' criteria...and then the compromising begins. The GX100 is as you see fit: simple (EZ access manual control) or complicated. Godspeed.

<p><i>OK, travel size --- can fit comfortably in a pocket of a sports jacket.</i></p><p>What about the Digital Rebel XTi and EF 35mm f/2? Is that too big?</p><p><i>and noiselessness are more important.</i></p><p>Even point and shoot cameras are noiseless at ISO 50. Do you want noiselessness, or noiselessness at high ISOs? If the latter, you'd be better served by a digital SLR, unless you want the Sigma DP-1 (which is rather specialized at at the moment, and not all that fast).</p>