NEC MultiSync 2690WUXi 25.5" - To buy or Not to buy?

Hi,

I know this forum is full of positive comments about the NEC MultiSync 2690WUXi 25.5". I'm about to

spring for one after waiting too long for new ACD's. I've also looked at the EIZO Color Edge series, but the

price differential to the 2690WUXi and a comparable EIZO seems very wide.

I am a professional artist, and I will use the monitor for video production and color correction for photo

work for repro. My prints are generally made at the lab and I entrust the final tweaking to them - but in

time I might move to in-house inkjet.

First question - is the difference in price between EIZO and NEC worth it?

Second question - what are the significant technical differences between the NEC and the EIZO? They both

seem to have access to hardware gamma controls, and both come highly spec-ed? The EIZO's seem to

have a faster response time, but maybe the NEC is fast enough for video (I don't do gaming!).

FInally if I do go for the NEC (it's a lot cheaper) people seem to recommend the proprietary calibration

software kit, but where do I get it? I've been looking at the monitor on B&H (I'll pick up other stuff there

too for combined shipping to Europe) but I can't see the software package on the B&H web-site.

Thanks for any answers to what are not exactly original questions!

I just bought one last week, its beautiful. I looked at both the NEC and the Eizo - my main criteria being the angle of view issue.

They both were so close in image quality that I didn't think paying double the price for the Eizo was worth it.

Another thing - it has three inputs for multiple computers and a S-Video port. Just make sure your graphics card is up to par !

The NEC 2690WUXi is indeed an excellent monitor. During the first two months of the year the bundled monitor and calibrator software/puck were not available so I purchased the calibration kit directly from NEC. In the U.S.:

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Accessories/?product=1713e080-c8e3-4aab-9447-73dacb301b84

The NEC calibration system is easy to use and produces excellent results.

Right now, NEC is out of the bundle and recommends you purchase the display and

software/puck separately (should be available at roughly the same price).

Its a superb system!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)