Naylor Photography collection to be auctioned

This according to the Guernsey's auction house:

<p>

[start]<br>

The Naylor Collection, considered by many to be the finest privately-owned photographic collection in

existence - will be sold at auction in New York, October 18 - 21, 2007.

</p><p>

<a href="http://www.guernseys.com/Auctions/Naylor/About.html">http://www.guernseys.com/

Auctions/Naylor/About.html</a><br>[end]

</p>

<p>

This is of particular note because of the range and quality of cameras and photographs which will be sold:

From a portait of Churchill (the photographer's name escapes me but I recognize the photo) and works

from

Doc Edgerton at MIT to unusual espionage cameras and the 8x10 Deardorff used by Playboy for its

centerfolds for 30 years.

</p><p>

*note this was announced July 12th, so if it is a repeat forgive me.</p>

If the catalog is well-done, it could be a wonderful thing to have.

I've never seen the collection in-person, but I've seen some items Jack displayed at the PHSNE Camera Shows. Like the Leica Luxus he picked up in "East" Germany in a camera shopping trip shortly after the Berlin Wall "fell". A savvy shopper, indeed.

• 1 month later...

Well, the auction is being handled by Guernsey's of New York City. The items are also listed on eBay as a "live auction". At least as seen from eBay, the cataloging appears to be ATROCIOUS. The titles of the auctions are uninformative, a Leica IIIf reportedly owned by Leopold Godowsky is just titled as "35mm Camera, 1954". There's another lot that is titled "Leica III (F) Ð 35mm - Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GM", and the picture is of a wood-veneered ersatz Russian Leica.

Every item opens at $50, and has an estimate of $100 to $1,000,000.

The auction description page notes that many collectors have graciously provided corrections to the catalog. Sounds like the printed catalog would be a poor purchase.

<p>I found a <a href="http://www.nabble.com/Naylor-Auction-Catalog---YIKES-Doesn't-Describe-What-I-See-...-And-it's-Not-What-You-Think-t4471108.html">discussion </a>of the printed catalog, from people who have received it. It is indeed atrocious, riddled with obvious errors, items without lot numbers, etc. For the money the auction house will be making off the auction, and the $50 they are charging for the catalog, they should be ashamed of themselves.</p>

<p>The folks on that page speculate that Naylor must be furious (or ashamed) of this. A museum-quality collection, with a completely "hack" catalog.</p>

<p>Some of the responders are also speculating that the auction will run poorly, which I don't doubt.</p>