Nature Unlimited November 23, 2018

PuntaColorada

This is the additional weekly image thread for the Nature Forum. While images posted to this thread should still be nature in theme, it may contain a small amount of human-made objects and therefore less restricted than the Monday in Nature threads. Please see this discussion for more details: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum

Each participant please post no more than just one image per weekly thread.

The bumble bees here in Uruguay are quite large compared to those we had in Canada; but, they are equally non-aggressive (thankfully). I pulled out the D90 for this and hooked it on to a Sigma 150mm macro lens.622699198_BBeeonside-2.thumb.jpg.dc66d8c54eba98db395a46b514b47b8d.jpg

• Like 5

Mike, nice sanhill crane.

May I ask where this image was captured? I think there is snow in the background. We have plenty of sandhill cranes in the Central Valley here in California in this time of the year, and I have seen sandhill cranes in Florida, but there is usually no snow in those regions.

This was taken in January 2010 using a Nikon D300 and a Nikon 200-400mm lens @ 200mm ISO250 1/500s f/8.

I forget how long the Crane spent at this small lake near Mt Gretna in Pennsylvania but it stayed for quite a while. Although it's only a couple of miles from home I never went to see it very often. This day the wind was howling straight out of the Arctic and I was frozen.

Thanks Mike, and that is close to Harrisburg. I lived in New Jersey for over 13 years, mainly during the 1990's. I have been to Pennsylvania many times, but usually on the eastern side of Penn. I don't recall seeing any sandhill cranes.

Yeah, your right. I think I’ve only seen 3 or 4 in the last 18 years. They get them more often in Northern PA I believe. This particular individual was around for weeks if not months.