Mylar to block infrared light on Chamonix 45N-2 bellows?

DB_Gallery

So I have been shooting 4x5 infrared with a Toyo 45CF and it is looking great, in fact, after a week, I love the camera too!

But in wanting to cut to the chase and get one of the best 4x5 field cameras out there, I ordered a brand new Chamonix 45N-2, it will be

here next week. So of course I find out now, after I pay for it that the bellows are made of a fabric that is not IR film safe as confirmed by

the company. So instead of just returning it since IR film is a lot of what I shoot, I am thinking of taking an unused Mylar emergency

blanket and making a sort of bellows wrap with the material folded twice to create 4 layers.

Since this material is used in solar filtration not to mention a more advanced version in space called "IR Blocker" which can be bought in

rolls, I am thinking this might be the best way forward since I don't use one trick pony dark cloths, preferring a dark synthetic pull over or

shell since I can also wear it...

Anyone solve the Chamonix bellows issue with Mylar?

<p>Not sure about metallized mylar being a complete block, as you usually can still see thru it (implying not sure how 'thick' the layer of metallization is nor needs to be to effectively attenuate/reflect 100% of the IR).</p>

<p>What about Reynolds wrap? Less elegant but a 100% block and dirt cheap.</p>

<p>Something called <strong >Xtreme Super Mylar </strong>seemes to block/reflect 99%+ of IR; also seems reasonably priced.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>"Chamonix 45N-2... one of the best 4x5 field cameras out there..."</p>

<p>Sorry, but if its bellows is not IR opaque, then it <strong>doesn't even qualify</strong> for consideration.</p>

<p><strong>Cancel your Chamonix 45N-2 order by whatever means necessary. NOW.</strong></p>

Umm, ok Andre, I am going to disagree after using the camera for just 24 hours, it is simply at another level...

So I made a 4 layer Mylar IR bellows coat, did a two sheet test in which I set the camera out in blazing sunlight, sun to the

left. I did one exposure after about 5 seconds from pulling the dark slide, one with exposure two full minutes after dark

slide out, both came out perfect, no base fog.

Since this gizmo is essentially a bag bellows, no pleats, I have to make two of them, one at 6" ( 65mm-135mm ) and one

at 10" ( 150mm-300mm ), the longest extension I could see using with IR. I made the small one first, will do the other

tomorrow.

It looks funky, but it works...

<p>Bob, I have used a Wista, borrowed a Linhof for a week and handled an Ebony. The Ebony SV45Ti was the one I handled and while it felt superb, the controls did not flow as intuitively for my way of thinking as the 45N-2, it weighs nearly two pounds more and cost $3,500. <br>

For what I am using the 45N-2 for, very remote backcountry work, it is perfect...for me that is.<br>

Attached is a shot I did yesterday. We had to rappel down into a narrow slot that was filled with wonderous ice, crampons and ice axe mandatory. I carried the 45N-2, 90mm F6.8 Grandagon, 135mm 5.6 Apo Sironar S and 180mm 5.6 Apo Symmar, 6 holders, some filters and a medium CF tripod and barely knew it was there.<br>

When I say "Another Level", I am talking about my level, not the walk 50 feet from your car level...</p><div>00aP3Q-467181784.jpg.bd93d8f1ae1ca616902d72199fb77077.jpg</div>