Muslin VS. Paper--Which do you prefer?

rick_schneider2

Hi,

Tried looking around the site before I asked this question, I'm surprised I didn't find

something on it.

Anyway, for portrait photographers (specifically head-to-toe shots), do you prefer muslin

or paper backgrounds? Is muslin more heavy-duty? Paper rolls seem cheaper, yet they

crinkle, get dirt all over them, etc.

Also, I have not yet shot strobes on a white paper background...despite a good amount of

crinkliness in the paper, would the flash just white all that out? I've seen Avedon's

portraits (I believe he used a paper background), and every one of them looks pure white...

Thanks!

For full length portraits on a white or solid color I prefer paper. For a textured background I like muslin. For small product sets 4ft wide or less I use formica which is available in many colors, patterns and textures.

Another choice for full-length backgrounds in the studio is vinyl flooring. The back of vinyl flooring is smooth and can be painted any color or texture. It's very strong and tough. It can be rolled up but it's too heavy and bulky for location work

Hello Rick,

I also prefer paper. I just like the smoother look to it and the multitude of possible colors. Plus, when you first pull it out of the bag it looks like a pressed shirt that's been slept in! This can be a pain on location.

But Joseph as a point. Paper can be a bear with a carpeted workspace. When faced with that problem I would just put down a 1/2" piece of plywood underneath the paper for the model to stand on. This will extend the life of the paper and prevent creases. Hope this helps.

David.

Paper looks smooth. White or any color. For high key get the Super white. You can get a tone gradiation by lighting near the bottom and letting the light fall off towards the top.

You can also use sidewalk or other chalk to mark up paper. Use the sides of the chalk and blend different colors, light towards the center and darker towards the edges. Example would be white and blue on brown paper. Smear it around with your hands. Don`t forget it is out of focus and will photograph fine.

Paper gets old and brittle and tears easily. Also hard to transport.

If you like black, get the black velvet paper from Studio Specialties. Black paper looks grey and wrinkled. However it looks good with colored lights on it, different colors blending and overlaping. Use black paper for this.

• 2 weeks later...