Mounting Photos on MDF Board

Hi! I am keen to mount photos on MDF board and found from this website that I

can get a double sided photo mount to do that. One question I have is: is there

a need to laminate the photo before mounting? If so, what sort of lamination

should that be? Is there special tool to put a coating on the photo to protect

the surface? or is there not a need to do so?

Appreciate your advice on the above.

Cheers!

SF

Did you mean Foamcore? I use mdf a lot for woodworking, but wouldn't consider it for mounting photos. Mount a 16x20 on some 3/4" mdf and it will kill someone if it falls off the wall. As well as what Milo said about chemicals, the stuff is nasty to saw. Tom

I actually do mean MDF but that is because I thought people has been mounting on 'real' MDF board. So, are you saying that I would be using Foamcore. I did have doubts on how I can work with MDF as it will be heavy and hard to saw (like what you said).

So, may be I should ask a more basic question. Is there an easy way to mount photos on a board like those photos that we saw in the craft markets or retail shops? I wonder how they actually protect the photos. Of course, I will also be checking out the Lzertran website given by Orat.

Thanks all!

• 3 months later...

I was shown how to do this at a training seminar yesterday. It was held by Hotpress www.hotpress.co.uk and was excellent (and free). A cold roller press is all you need.

Get the place you buy your mdf to do the cutting (they have masks etc so the dust doesn't risk health). Then laminate the front of the picture for protection & finally laminate the picture to the board.

Because the board to picture laminate is non porus no acid will ever come out of the mdf into your picture.

They look quite good like a thin canvas wrap.

Hotpress do DVDs with full training for their machines and have just begun the 2008 training seminars. Details on their website.

• 2 months later...

Does depend on size of print as MDF is heavy as people have said. I've recently mounted 5x7 inch photographs on to MDF and they work really well. I used mounting tissue and a hot press.

Foamex might be an idea. Better than foamboard, but cheaper than aluminium. Most photographic places will mount your photos onto foamex and laminate them for you.