mounting and sealing photos to wood

patrick_zaia

<p>Hi all, I am pretty new to the business of photography and have an odd question. I tripped into doing a gallery show when someone saw some 3D photography I was playing around with. I now need to mount my photos for display but cannot use conventional glass (even nonglare) due to reflections that will distract from the 3D effect. What I envision is wood blocks 1 inch thick, cut to fit the prints, sealed and painted black so the edges won't distract from the viewing. I've already bought the wood (poplar, so sap- as in pine- won't affect the prints) and cut and sanded everything to fit. Time is a factor so, what is my best option for attaching the prints and protecting the surface? Thank You- Patrick</p>

<p>Thanks Alan, I have had a lot of people recommend 3M Spray Mount so I'll go with that. I need to know the best way to protect the face of the print. I tried a collage medium type gesso, but that only pulled color up from the print (changing the 3D effect). Is there a spray or resin that would be best?</p>

<p>What type of prints? On light sensitive paper (color or b&w)? Inkjet or other? Treatment appropriate for one may not be appropriate for another. Generally speaking it's best to use *no* surface treatment on prints, especially if there is any doubt about compatibility with the medium.</p>

<p>Hey Lex, I had my photos printed at a professional lab near my home. That's all I know. I did try to print at home on my inkjet, but when I tried to seal them color leeched out of the print. I am going to try a matte spray sealer someone suggested at the lab.</p>