motor drive

I bought one for an M7. Same motor.

It is not a quiet device. It doesn't feel very 'refined' in design or execution. It does the job,

though.

I returned it, not for either of the above reasons, but because i didn't like the ergonomics.

It never became comfortable in my hand. Felt like the metal tube was just randomly

attached without regard to the design of the human hand.... I do not know if it would have

helped to steady the camera.

Too bad, as i would like a device for sequence shooting. Or, at least so that consecutive

exposures would not have to be 'interrupted' by a manual film advance lever. But, that's

the nature of the M for me. I have SLRs and digital for those other situations.

But, by all means, buy one, if you can get it from a dealer with a liberal return policy. This

is a very personal thing - our opinions won't matter much if we're talking about noise and

comfort.

I have a Motor M bought used here on this forum for a lot less than new cost. There are a few around for sale by people that do not like or use them. I like mine a lot, it's pretty quiet on low. I use mine mostly for stage events on a M6 .85, especially dance where I need to focus & shoot quickly. I use a monopod about 50% of the time for this because of the low light levels. I use it some for outdoor pics of my kids sports, but it's unneeded weight for travel and vacation pics. When I was looking at motors, the motor M seemed much better than prev motors But please note that you can not mount/dismount most leica lens w/ eyes while the motor M is attached due to the battery housing. For the cost used of these I would just buy one & live with it a while and then sell it if it does not fit your needs. Best of luck, Jim.

I tried one briefly in a store. I found it disconcerting that during the winding, the shutter button pops up, pushing my finger up with it. It was unexpected (logical, but unexpected nontheless) and felt unwelcome at the moment. No doubt this is not really a problem, and I could have gotten used to it, once I got over the initial surprise. It certainly ought not to deter anyone who really needs one.

There's an alternative: Tom Abrahamssohn's Rapidwinder. As quiet as it gets, and never needs batteries.

Hi Laurent,

find out in a shop whether the L-shaped 'Motor M' fits your particular vintage of M6 (take

a test film along!).

If it fits, get one through ebay. Because of a Leica promotion last year (?) there should be

quite a number of units floating around. Not much risk bying unseen as there is not much

to break in them.

The motor takes some getting used to. I *love* mine, cannot do without it, it's my

'standard bottom plate.'

Battery consumption is completely neglectable and with cold-resistant Lithiums.

Cheers, Peter

I have two M motors. The first one I bought for my M4-P. I liked it so much I had DAG convert my M3 to motor drive and bought one for it as well. I don't leave home without them.

I use a Leicavit on my IIIf. Love it as well. If I could put an M motor on it I would.

Use them for a few days and you won't go back.

I do like motors so I am biased.