Monitor set to 6500K looks yellow, not white

When setting the white point to get a monitor profile it seems to me that if you use

sat 6500 this is quite yellowish. How then can the image on the screen match the

final print (on your profiled printer) if the white point is giving a yellow cast to the

total image?

Thanks for any pointers in getting to understand this better.

Louis

Ps I use the Emac and if anyone has more specific advice on it I would be delighted to

hear from you.

Hi Louis, I think the point of setting the white point is to select the whitest point in a given image. It's not that you necessarily have to set a truly "white" point. If you're getting a yellow cast then you might want to try using the middle grey eyedropper. If you locate a true mid-tone in your image and click on it with the eyedropper, it should get rid of this. Best wishes . . .

If you are using you monitor hardware controls to "set" a 6500K white point, well, they are known to be wildly inaccurate. A monitor profiled to 6500K using calibration hardware and software should not really look yellow - it should really look very neutral, maybe a touch on the red magenta side, at least when compared to a monitor that has no calibration and is using 9000K - the way lots of people run their monitors.

basics: do not use your monitor ptofile as your working space. Monitor and printer

ptofiles are DEVICE SPECIFIC, so iy can't be neutral as they are made in reference to

that particular monitor or prinyrt/ink/paper combo. Your work space needs to be

neutral and non device specific color space like Adobe RGB or even sRGB. Think of

profiles as translators. They tell the device what the numbers PS send to it mean in

relation to what the device is able to output.

Ellis

I use AdobeRgb1998 as work space , colorsync and a light grey background.

How can one compare the final print to the image on screen when the standard white

point (6500) is yellowish?

Should I be trying to get the screen neutral and then any problems are with the

printer driver?

Thanks for all the comment.

Louis:

Yes, after I use Monaco Easy Color to profile my Viewsonic 19" monitor for 6500K, it seems a little bit yellowish to me as well. But after all my editing work in Photoshop, print out match closely with the monitor screen. I think this is the most important. You can try also profile the monitor at 7500K. I did this as well, and did not see subtantial difference between the profiles of 6500K and 7500K. You can try it yourself with two profiles, make a sample print, and see which profile matches the print more closely.

William