Dear friends,

I calibrated my monitor using MonacoEasyColor system, and then created a

printer profile with it as well. After that, I edited the printer profile with

the software and adjusted the monitor to more closely match the sample

photograph (my goal, obviously was to get as close a match b/w the monitor and

the printer output as possible). Now, do I have to do the same printer editing

process again after I re-calibrate my monitor periodically? What is the minimum

recommended re-calibration frequency? I am not a pro, so for me, the less

frequently, the better. Thank you for your help.

lots of variables there Michael. Monitors are affected by lots of things. If you are starting to see some colors that are not to your liking then of course its time, but knowing what your monitor type and its other uses play into that. Are you using an LCD display or a CRT? What type of connection, graphics card? Are other applications running on the machine? Are their other people using the monitor for intensive graphics applications, doe the monitor have a screen saver, does it stay on one image for long periods of time when you are away? Its really difficult to make a recommendation, your eyes are the only real test that matters.

You should not "adjust" the monitor to match the print. That defeats the purpose of calibrating the monitor. Instead, use a print profile for the particular paper, inkset and printer you are using.

Monitor and printer profiles are separate and independent. The monitor profile applies corrections so that image files are displayed correctly. The printer profile applies corrections while printing so that image files are printed correctly.

You must know how to correctly apply these profiles in your system and software. This will vary with your software.

<I>I calibrated my monitor using MonacoEasyColor system, and then created a printer

profile with it as well. </I><P>Good and okay if it works for you but I hope you profiled

the scanner first too.<P><I>After that, I edited the printer profile with the software...

</I><P>Also good , if you know what you are doing.<P><I> and adjusted the monitor to

more closely match the sample photograph </I><P>Generally speaking , that's VERY BAD!

ONCE YOU HAVE ACCURATELY CALIBRATED AND PROFILED YOUR MONITOR, LEAVE THOSE

SETTINGS ALONE! There are several reasons that your print doesn't closely match

your monitor display -- viewing conditions in the room, you aren't doing a good job of

implementing softproofing , or your monitor might not truely be suitable for softproofing,

the image you are working with may have siginificant out-of- gamut tones and colors and

of course, general user error.<P>Since you have the tools, it isn't a bad idea to reprofile

your paper, printer, and ink combination a couple of times over a month or two to see if

the printer is consistent or is drifiting, and you should recalibrate and reprofile your

monitor every couple of weeks. And of course do create a new profile when ever you

switch papers (from say matte to glossy or from Epson to Ilford for examples . Those last

two steps are just good color management hygiene.

Hi Michael, I'd have to agree with the above post about trying to get your monitor to match your print; it defeats the purpose of color management.

When I first started messing with all this a few years ago I too purchased a Monaco "EZcolor 2" kit, which was anything *but* "EZ" and I never got a satisfactory print from using it. (I have an Epson 2200)

What *did* work for me was simply buying a good colorimeter. I ended up with a Gretag-Macbeth but there are others that'll work just as well. (I'm not sure if your Monaco product includes a monitor "puck" or calibration device but if it doesn't, you're in for a rough ride, I'm afraid)

Anyhoo, once I calibrated my monitor and used Epson's updated printer profiles my colors were right on the money.

So, my .02 cent's worth is this: Calibrate your display with a colorimeter. If your Monaco product doesn't have one then I'd get one. They can be had now for much less than I paid for my Gretag-Macbeth a few years ago.

Once you do that, at least try the "canned" printer profiles that should have shipped with your printer. You might also try going to your printer manufacturer's website to see if they've updated them. These profiles are specific to the paper you'll be using.

If you use a different kind of paper than those offered by the manufacturer of your printer and/or you're still a little off after calibrating your display with a colorimeter, then I'd use a printer profiling service like Cathy's Profiles: http://www.cathysprofiles.com/ Places like Cathy's have purchased equipment that's *very* expensive in order to make highly accurate printer/paper profiles that are custom-made for your setup and are pretty much impossible to get with an in-home Monaco setup. But your success or failure will very much depend on simply calibrating your display properly. If you read Cathy's website you'll see. I believe that http://www.inkjetart.com also offers custom-made printer/paper profiles.

BTW, I used a Dell display for a long time and it calibrated just fine. The (newer) Epson paper profiles were dead-on the money after using my G-M colorimeter.

One last bit of advice: Master your print driver. The correct settings can be very tricky to get right because most manufacturers assume you're *not* using paper profiles and set up their printers to do the thinking for you. You typically have to go through a few gyrations to find the correct settings for your particular printer.

Yes, all this is a huge PITA but once you've done it the first time and gotten it right, the rest is gravy. You'll occasionally want to re-calibrate your display from time to time as they will "drift". Most people re-calibrate once a month but some do it as often as once a week. Good luck!