Minty Minolta XD-S with battery issue

I just received a nice Minolta XD-s yesterday from a dealer in Japan it looked great. Unfortunately, there is a serious problem. The batteries went dead in a day. With a fresh set, it went dead over night. I even placed the shutter on 0 which showed no LEDs lit in the viewfinder. What might be wrong? I hate to ship it back but I will if needed.

I just received a nice Minolta XD-s yesterday from a dealer in Japan it looked great. Unfortunately, there is a serious problem. The batteries went dead in a day. With a fresh set, it went dead over night. I even placed the shutter on 0 which showed no LEDs lit in the viewfinder. What might be wrong? I hate to ship it back but I will if needed.

I'd send it back. It's been my experience that cameras from the '70s/80's are cheaper to replace than repair. This kind of problem is precisely why I don't order cameras from Japan (I shoot with Nikon FE2's and FM2N's [in US]). Lenses, yes, because I've been in Nikon photography since 1978 and bought scores of Nikon lenses since then and NEVER had any trouble with them at all. (The reason I've bought so many is that I'll stay in photography for years, thensell everything and remain on the sidelines for a couple of years, then get back in for several more years...

Sorry you're having problems. If you bought the camera through ebay and ask for return of defective item, you should get an email so that you can print out a postage paid return shipping label.

Edited by Vincent Peri

I'd send it back. It's been my experience that cameras from the '70s/80's are cheaper to replace than repair. This kind of problem is precisely why I don't order cameras from Japan (I shoot with Nikon FE2's and FM2N's [in US]). Lenses, yes, because I've been in Nikon photography since 1978 and bought scores of Nikon lenses since then and NEVER had any trouble with them at all.

Sorry you're having problems. If you bought the camera through ebay and ask for return of defective item, you should get an email so that you can print out a postage paid return shipping label.

Thank you. I was typing just as you were. If the camera was in "as is" condition, it would be different. I paid $189.00 plus shipping

And trying the "O" setting was a good way to eliminate the possibility that something was pressing on the shutter release which will drain the battery in short order. When Popular Photography tested the XD-11 in 1979 (or so) the tester found this out for himself.

Go luck and hope your are able to get a properly functioning XD.

The seller finally agreed to take it back - he had 30 day return in his ad but was reluctant. So tomorrow I will ship it back. Now I am a bit "gunshy" about finding another. This guy assured me that it worked perfectly but it didn't. There are a couple more Minolta XD-S's in Japan to choose from, but I will most likely buy a black XD11 from a US seller.

This guy assured me that it worked perfectly but it didn't.

Ah yes ebay. I bought a Minolta SRT 101 which also "worked perfectly", but in fact the shutter did not even trip. I sent it back. A complete lie. I don't know what the answer is to these sort of "deals", but try to pay only so much as you can afford to lose. I got an ebay Zenit B which looks great for $35, but the mirror jams. It's not worth repairing. It looks good and since it was my first camera, it has nostalgic value: it is not worth even returning it. I also avoid all ads that say something like "I'm not a camera expert, but it seems to work..." translation: "there are things wrong with it, but I am going to pretend I know nothing and hope for the best."

• Like 1
Robin Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Today I heard back from the seller and he said the camera was perfect with no defect and he was going to keep the camera and would not issue a refund. I contacted Ebay and told the agent on the phone about the camera and it's problem. He agreed to refund me the money. Then later the seller contacted me and said that until today he was unaware of the camera's problem and that he would check it out and maybe send a refund! I told him a day after I received the camera of the battery drain issue and that a professional tech had inspected it. His ad clearly states a 30 money back guarantee. I had contacted him well within 30 days and he agreed to the return - a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely. The fact that he initially not only decided to keep the camera but also refuse to refund the money made him look pretty bad. I already owned a perfectly working XD11 and I suppose I could have kept the XD-S and used the XD11 for parts - assuming that the parts were the same. I don't know what the labor would have been. I see now that there is an XD-S with a 24mm f2.8 MD Rokkor for sale.