Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm f/2.8

I'm not familiar with the Minolta lenses, so this question's answer may be obvious. I think there are two

versions of this lens. One takes a 55mm filter, the other a 49mm. One has 8 elements, the other 9. I think I've

read that the 55mm version is considered the better lens. Browsing around, the photos I've seen of the 55

variant has the filter size printed on the face surrounding the front element, but I did handle one that didn't

and confirmed it took the 55mm filter.

The question is whether this is a known cosmetic change in the production history, and whether it is otherwise

the same lens as the ones with the 55mm filter size printed on the lens.

<p><a href="http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html">http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html</a><br>

They state ...</p>

This was one lens to be changed significantly by Minolta for the the <strong>3rd generation version</strong>. The lens switched from a 55mm to a 49mm filter thread, and from 9 elements in 7 groups to 8 elements in 8 groups. While I am not familiar with the performance of the new optical formula, I have been advised by other users that the performance of the later lens is similarly good, which would be expected given it retained the “floating” element construction.

The lens on the rokkorfiles page reads

Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm 1:2.8 Lens Made in Japan [symbol] 55mm

as do others, such as the one on Ken Rockwell's site.

The one I've handled reads:

Minolta Lens Made in Japan MD W.Rokkor-X 1:28 24mm

Perhaps they would be the 1st and 2nd generation versions Rokkorfiles refers to. Would the generational difference involve optical performance or cosmetic or both?

<p>Unfortunately, the Manual Minolta site, with its extensive documentation of every Minolta lens, is gone.</p>

<p>Fortunately, it was captured by the Internet Archive, and you can see the page on the 24mm MC and MD lenses here:<a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20050116075820/members.aol.com/xkaes/2428.htm"> Minolta 24mm lenses</a></p>

<p>The images are gone, but there are full specifications for each lens and the inscription on each lens. Maybe you'll find some answers there.</p>

Carol, thank you very much. According to the link you provided there are two basic versions in two iterations of the 24mm with 55mm filter thread. One has the VFC (variable field curvature) and the other does not . Absent images, the only difference is their weights. Both generations have an early and a late style. It is the later styles that have the filter size on the lens, while both earlier versions do not (if I followed it all. It is very late).

So, based on weight and the text on the lens, I can conclude the one I handled was an early version without the VFC.

I don't know what it all means really, but thanks again.

<blockquote>

<p><em><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3874347">Carroll Bloyd</a> , Mar 04, 2011; 01:00 a.m. </em><br>

<em>Unfortunately, the Manual Minolta site, with its extensive documentation of every Minolta lens, is gone.</em></p>

<p><em><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6027759">Don Essedi</a> , Mar 04, 2011; 03:46 a.m. </em><br>

<em>Carol, thank you very much.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Surely you know the difference between Carroll and Carol, and I won't call you Shirley.</p>

<p>I have two different Rokkor 24mm lenses and I will try to dig them out. I am also interested in how they differ. I am very sure that one of them is not the VFC version.</p>

<p> </p>

:Surely you know the difference between Carroll and Carol..."

Apparently not in the early hours of the morn, but it's the sentiment that counts.

The lens gets very good reviews. What do you think of it? I'm considering buying one.