Miller's vs. MPix

Has anyone used both of these labs? I currently use Miller's with excellent results, but at a recent photo expo in

NYC spoke with someone from mPix. Since they are a division of Miller's, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and use

them for proof orders as they are about 1/2 the price per print or keep using Miller's. Does anyone have any reasons

to use one over the other? Any information anyone has would be helpful!

This is not really answering your question. I have been using Mpix for a few years, pretty much since they have been in business I guess.

The quality and service is beyond reproach. After having hundreds of prints and various mountings done, I have always been 100% satisfied.

I was offered an account with Millers, but never followed through with it as I just could not see the point. Mpix does everything I need, and

they are continuously adding more and more features. So I can't make a direct comparison between the two, I just know Mpix is the perfect

lab and service for my needs.

steve

Highly satisfied with mpix.com, but I send them files from a color managed working environment in sRGB color space. So I'm not asking for any skilled human intervention. The quality is excellent, the color is true, the packing and shipping are excellent, service is fast. Great customer dedication.

I'm sure Miller's and mpix.com use the same printing machines. Miller's higher prices presumably reflect a more skilled "printer", or more time from the "printer", who is making the exposure and color balance decisions.

There are some things I'd like to get from mpix.com that aren't available there. One is glossy paper, but that's not popular in the portraiture market that's their bread and butter. I'd also like the option of higher resolution, they run at 250 dots/inch, I suspect the hardware can also do 500 dots/inch, but slower, I'd be willing to pay more. It would also be nice if they had an option of a larger color gamut than sRGB, although I'm still using that as my working space.

• 5 weeks later...