Memphis Professional Imaging and North Coast Photographic Services

<p>Anyone tried MPI or NCPS for developing and scanning of C41, E6, and conventional black and white film?<br>

I am mostly interested in how their scans compare to scans from a Nikon CS 9000 and the quality of their development of Tri-X and other black and white films. I shoot 35 mm.<br>

I have been trying to decide whether to save for a Nikon Cool Scan 9000 or a Nikon D700. If I can get very good scans from MPI or NCPS at a reasonable price, I will buy the D700; if not, I will probably bite the bullet and buy the Cool Scan and wait for a digital full frame until the prices come down.<br>

MPI is local to me, and NCPS will require mail which will add to the time and the price.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've not heard of MPI. I've seen NCPS scans and they seem worth the $5 for me. Not at the level of a 9000, and certainly grainier than the D700, but still good. I've also talked to some people that say dont go for the enhanced scans, go for the 'budget' scans, which are a lot cheaper ($5), but still pretty big, like 2000x3000.</p>

<p>The scans look good for minilab-type scans. The grain is a bit accented. For $5, I'd happily use them for 99% of my uses, small prints, internet, etc. For large prints I'd make from my negatives, I would rescan ONLY those frames at home or at a professional lab.</p>

<p>I'm getting an order together to send to them. I can't comment on their B&W development - I do mine at home.</p>

<p>Never used the Memphis lab but I've had NCPS do several 35mm and 120 E-6 process & scan jobs. I've always been very pleased with the "enhanced scan" I get even for 35mm. I've got an epson v500 and it can't hold a candle to the detail and cleanness I get back from NCPS. Check out my gallery to see some examples. </p>

<p>I've seen some comparisons on flickr of the Coolscan and the NCPS scan and they were very comparable. The CS did a little better job pulling out shadow detail from the velvia slide, although honestly I've never spent much time in photoshop to see how much shadow detail I could wrangle from the NCPS scan. Personally I would send off the E-6 and purchase the D700. Mainly because scanning film is not very much fun but shooting with a d700 would be. </p>

• 2 months later...