Memory Card for Nikon D50

gina_crowne

What exactly do you mean by "best"?

The D50 takes SD (Secured Digital) cards. The better known brands are Sandisk and Lexar. Something like a Sandisk Ultra II 1G or 2G should work quite well on the D50. The D50 does not support SDHC (SD High Capcaity) so that you cannot use 4G or above on it.

For more info, see this link on Rob Galbraith's web site: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7905

I've been using 2 Sandisk Ultra II 1 Gb SD cards on my D50 for about 6 months now.

I shoot RAW and I hardly see any lag while reading(writing) from(to) these cards. Till now I've had no issues with them.

I decided to keep myself to 1 Gb per card to mitigate the risk of card failure. Someone said "Don't put all your eggs in the same basket".

HTH.

From everything I read and tried with my D50, you don't get a lot of benefit from using a high end fast write card. Take a look at the tests at robgalbraith.com. A faster card will help when using with a card reader on the computer. I just bought two 4Gb SD cards form newegg.com and they work fine. I got them for $62. The brand is ridata.

I can confirm Jeff's comment from personal experience. I believe he's right on about the card speed with the D50. Also, in my opinion the faster cards in the D50 aren't worth the extra money because ultimatley you are waiting around for the buffer to clear out after shooting a bunch of continuous shots, and that takes at least a couple seconds no matter what card you use while shootings NEFs.