Mefoto Roadtrip vs Manfrotto Befree

radicalgel

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I've narrowed down on these two models and I can't decide which to go with. Here are my list of pro's for each:</p>

<p>Manfrotto Befree:<br>

- 0.6lb lighter. <br>

- Flip lock for legs as opposed to twist.<br>

- Love the quick release plate. Much simpler than the Mefoto and feels more secure.<br>

- I know and trust the brand, used several of their products without and issues for years now.<br>

- Cheaper. Yes, here in India the befree is cheaper than the roadtrip. </p>

<p>Mefoto Roadtrip:<br>

- Takes more load, but with how I travel, I doubt ill exceed the 8.8lbs that the befree offers<br>

- Built in monopod<br>

- Drag and pan controls<br>

- Slightly higher max height but I'd definitely avoid using either all full height.</p>

<p>So which one would you guys pick? I'm travelling in a couple of days and any quick inputs to help me make my decision would be invaluable.</p>

<p>I personally like the standard Arca-Swiss type connection of the Mefoto, plus it comes in a carbon fiber legs model. The arca-swiss type connection is not as quick as the press-and-lock types but the connection is very secure plus the availability of various size and shape plates means all my cameras from DSLR to small point and shoot cameras to long lenses can have a plate unique to it's size. </p>

<p>I have an old Silk Sprint Pro aluminum travel pod with the flip leg latches and, yes, they seem a bit quicker to set up and break down. The SH-100 ball head is not a quick release type but I have to say that pod has seen years of HEAVY use and still works great! They still make it for under $100. I'm going to upgrade mine this year with a Sirui G-10x ballhead and just keep it in the truck.</p>

<p>I just went through a similar travel pod selection process at the start of summer and decided on a set of Triopo GT-3128 carbon legs with a Sirui G-10x ball head. I'm pleased with it using it now for a few months. I LOVE the Sirui G-10x ballhead. Beautifully made and very smooth working. Their carbon T 1204 legs are nice too. The Triopo legs were very similar spec'd (size, weight, reverse folding, monopod), and added retractable spiked feet, at about $150 less.</p>

<p>Good luck! There are so many good choices now. Aluminum is very cost effective and carbon fiber has become more affordable.</p>

<p>Like Louis, I prefer the Arca-Swiss connection for a tripod. Have never used the Manfrotto Befree, but do own and use the Roadtrip and am very pleased with it. You didn't mention what size camera/lens combo you might be using, so that is a factor as well.<br /> <br /> For me, the Roadtrip is primarily used with a mirrorless camera and lens, but occasionally pressed into duty for a D300 and moderately-sized zoom lens, with no issues. This tripod has been my go to unit for travel, hiking, etc., but in no way is intended to replace a larger, sturdier tripod when needed.</p>

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses. I actually went into the store today and tried both the roadtrip and the globetrotter and ended up buying the latter. It is a tad heavier and bulkier but it was rock solid with my D300s and Tokin 11-16 even at full height. The features far surpassed the befree's and I got it at a great price so I'm really happy. The roadtrip is great but after using the globetrotter I knew that was it. </p>