Medium format slide projection

I really enjoy projecting my mounted 35mm slides. of course i do this with

just regular glassless mounts.

Lately I've been thinking about moving up to medium format for its larger film

size.

I am wondering if mounted medium format slides (of course using a medium

format projector) can be projected without glass mounts?

I am guessing that the larger the slide, the more out of focus it will be due

to warping of the slide.

Has anyone projected 645, 66, or 67 slides without using glass mounts? Or are

glass mounts a must with medium format?

Also, are their any medium format projectors that can sharply present

glassless mounted slides?

Since paper mounts have, and are still being made for medium format slides, one would

assume that they can be used successfully. I would expect that it would be more the

design of the projector as to whether the slide would "pop" and warp out-of-focus. Since

medium-format slide projectors were always very expensive, it would make sense that

they had a pre-warm flow of air to allow the slide to pre-"pop" thus avoiding this issue on

the screen.

Yes, absolutely, medium-format slides can be projected in all the popular medium-format

slide projectors without glass mounts.

The annoying thing is that very few labs, if any, will mount the slides for you when the film is processed. I still have 6X6 slides which I shot in the 1970s with my old Yashica Mat 124G and they were processed and mounted by Kodak. There probably aren't any scanners with carriers made to fit slides this size but I find handling them is easier when they're mounted. They look very nice when they're projected.

I have been projecting 6x7 slides for several years now with a Pro-Cabin 67Z projector using Gepe Anti-Newton glass mounts and cardboard mounts with excellent projection characteristics. The Gepe mounts are expensive but the cardboard mounts (if you can find them!) are cheap - about 25 cents per mount.

I'm curious, how big are medium format slide mounts? All the small formats (35mm, 127, 110, etc.) that I've seen have used 2x2" mounts.

The idea that 25 cents per mount for cardboard is cheap is almost staggering to me. I use the fold-over plastic mounts in a Byers mounter for 35mm, and those mounts cost a little under 3 cents for the original US-made brand and less than 2 cents for the Gepe mounts I've been using lately. (That's before shipping, of course.)

Van

25-cents for a 6x7 mount is cheap. Currently a Gepe 6x7 antinewton mount will run you about $26 new for a box of 10 mounts (it used to be $16 a couple of years ago). 6x6 and 6x4.5 mounts are a little cheaper. I believe that I paid $20 for a box of 20 6x4.5 Journal plastic mounts without the glass. The plastic mounts are a tad easier to insert into the projector (they just drop in and its usually not necessary to refocus) as the cardboard 6x7's are larger but the cardboard mounts work and project fine in the Cabin which can project all formate from 135 to 6x7. The Cabin also has a assessory carrier that will enable you to insert a film strip instead of a slide. Foolishly I never got it when it and the above mentioned mounts were readily available. Now everything is hard to find. I don't think that Gepe makes medium format mounts anymore and the cardboard mounts, made and distributed but Inkjet Arts in SLC are no longer available.

I project my 645 slides. I had read that you must use glass mounts with 645 and larger, so that was all I ever used. However, scored soome Clark glassless slide mounts for a ridiculously great price. I was very suprised to see that they work as well as the gepe AN glass mounts. I even did a "scientific" test - letting one slide sit in the projector for over 5 minutes, with no out of focus (other than the initial "pop" you always get that requires a focus adjustment) or adverse effects!

I have projected a cardboard mounted 6x7 slide as long as 30 or more minutes at a time in the Cabin (150mm lens) with no ill effect.

The advantage in plastic mounts, whether glass or glassless, is that they are easier to insert (you just drop them in but I guess one could go thru the extra trouble of trimming the CB's somewhat), remain in sharp focus from one slide to the next, and are inexpensive compared to plastic. The glass versions protect the film from fingerprints, sratches, etc., and therefore are worth the extra cost for mounting an 'important' slide.